NC750x Manual Gear Lever not returning to home position

gz3cx8

Hi there,

I have a 2017 NC750x with 70,000 miles on the clock, which I've had from new. It is my commuter bike and last week I ran in to some difficulty with the gearing. On my commute in to work the bike got stuck in 5th gear, and on returning home I had continued issues with gear selection. Having discussed the issue with some informed friends they suggested a service as they suspected that the oil had degraded causing the selection issues.

I conducted the oil change on Friday and ran the bike to circulate the oil, performing a test drive where I was able to select all gears. The only problem I now have is the gear selector is not returning to its "home" position after a gear selection. I have to physically intervene and move the gear selector either down when gearing up or up when gearing down. I have ridden in to work again today and had the same issue, whilst it's not causing me any driving related concerns the concentration to continually do this with my left foot is something that I want to fix.

I have had a look at the exploded diagrams of both the gearbox and the gear lever expecting to see some kind of spring clip, but cannot see anything, and I am now at a little bit of a loss as to what to look for next ?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

ChrisCB

If pivot No12 on the diagram hasn't been off in 70k you might want to look in this area, it is a common point of sticking and needs lubricating.

Screenshot-20231030-154816-Chrome.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this, I definitely haven't removed this pivot, but there does seems to be good free movement on it.

I have noticed that the ball joint directly under that pivot is quite stiff. I think it would be probable be a good idea to remove it all and give it a good clean and grease and see what that brings me.

Cheers

• Like 2
FurstyFerret
On 07/10/2023 at 19:46, Grumpy old man said:

Yep, seem to think that's how it's meant to be, if there was no gap it would bind against the dog bones.

6 hours ago, gz3cx8 said:

Hi there,

I have a 2017 NC750x with 70,000 miles on the clock, which I've had from new. It is my commuter bike and last week I ran in to some difficulty with the gearing. On my commute in to work the bike got stuck in 5th gear, and on returning home I had continued issues with gear selection. Having discussed the issue with some informed friends they suggested a service as they suspected that the oil had degraded causing the selection issues.

I conducted the oil change on Friday and ran the bike to circulate the oil, performing a test drive where I was able to select all gears. The only problem I now have is the gear selector is not returning to its "home" position after a gear selection. I have to physically intervene and move the gear selector either down when gearing up or up when gearing down. I have ridden in to work again today and had the same issue, whilst it's not causing me any driving related concerns the concentration to continually do this with my left foot is something that I want to fix.

I have had a look at the exploded diagrams of both the gearbox and the gear lever expecting to see some kind of spring clip, but cannot see anything, and I am now at a little bit of a loss as to what to look for next ?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Had problems with finding neutral and going into 1st or 2nd - the play in the clutch cable was at fault. Have you tried that?

Grumpy old man
11 hours ago, FurstyFerret said:

Had problems with finding neutral and going into 1st or 2nd - the play in the clutch cable was at fault. Have you tried that?

Hi Fursty, no idea how that quote of mine was shown it's not at all related to the OP's post 🤔

• Like 1

Quick update, removed the gear lever assembly when I got home last night and the ball joint that I suggested was stiff, was pretty much seized. Soaked it in some degreaser and left overnight, then cleaned, greased and reassembled this morning. Test rode fine and got to work this afternoon with no problems. Feel a bit stupid for not checking this at the weekend, but glad it has turned out to be something quite simple. As an addition the rubber dust covers covering the ball joints are both in really poor condition so I have ordered new and will clean and re-grease again when they arrive.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

• Like 8
FurstyFerret
1 hour ago, gz3cx8 said:

Quick update, removed the gear lever assembly when I got home last night and the ball joint that I suggested was stiff, was pretty much seized. Soaked it in some degreaser and left overnight, then cleaned, greased and reassembled this morning. Test rode fine and got to work this afternoon with no problems. Feel a bit stupid for not checking this at the weekend, but glad it has turned out to be something quite simple. As an addition the rubber dust covers covering the ball joints are both in really poor condition so I have ordered new and will clean and re-grease again when they arrive.

Not stupid at all - clueless mechanic here, had no awareness of the issue and will do it on mine preventatively this week. Cheers 🍻 

• Like 1
Slowboy
1 hour ago, gz3cx8 said:

Not stupid at all, an easily overlooked part for most of us. Hopefully your experience will be helpful for others. Thanks for getting back with the answer.

• Like 3
Johnnie Mototrans

Well done

Now, this weekend, dismantle clean, lubricate and refit your suspension linkage.

Hey Thanks Johnnie, I'll have a go at that, working all weekend so maybe next week, looks like fun !!!

Anything else I should consider ?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Ozzieflyer

Maybe lube the throttle and clutch cables if you are looking for things to do.  There are some good clips on YouTube showing the  different processes that people use to do this task.  

Scootabout

Nice to hear of an NC still going strong after 70k miles, especially with one owner. Although there was a courier chappie - is he still here? - who had done some sort of Moon mileage. 

• Like 1