Now, this weekend, dismantle clean, lubricate and refit your suspension linkage.

gz3cx8

Thanks to Johnnie Mototrans for the suggestion in the title line. However my attempt at this has come several thousand miles too late.

I have this evening started work on this and removed the suspension linkage, only to find that on the main pivot points for the dog bones the needle bearings have completely collapsed. I am glad I have started this as I wouldn't want to have catastrophic failure whilst riding, which judging by the state of them wouldn't have been too far away.

I now have to work out a method of removing and replacing them over the next few days.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to progress this, including the parts I will need ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
FurstyFerret
On 09/11/2023 at 19:36, gz3cx8 said:

Thanks to Johnnie Mototrans for the suggestion in the title line. However my attempt at this has come several thousand miles too late.

I have this evening started work on this and removed the suspension linkage, only to find that on the main pivot points for the dog bones the needle bearings have completely collapsed. I am glad I have started this as I wouldn't want to have catastrophic failure whilst riding, which judging by the state of them wouldn't have been too far away.

I now have to work out a method of removing and replacing them over the next few days.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to progress this, including the parts I will need ?

FurstyFerret
On 09/11/2023 at 19:36, gz3cx8 said:

**Approach this with caution and consider paying a mechanic to remove them.**

Plenty of videos optimistically showing the removal of such bearings on YT, none contain any hint of the backyard tears to come. Likewise with the service manual. 

Will add my two cents. But. Be aware that - even if they haven't been regularly cleaned and greased - before the Needle Bearings are put in it would appear that Honda place grease in a pipet before putting a drop of it on the table 2m away from where they then install the bearing into the suspension linkage. 

A cynic would say they use glue.

In my case all the bearing puller did was destroy itself and the bearings. The casing outers remained stuck fast and had to be dremeled out by a pro.

Applying heat liberally around the casing opening with a portable butane type torch for about 50 seconds at a time may make it slightly easier. You can also get a threaded rod cut at B&Q and use a combination of sockets, then washers, then nuts, and spanners with it to push them out (videos on YT). Freeze the new bearings before seating them.

• Like 1
john mackay

no mention of the top chock linking ,that will need lubing to.

Johnnie Mototrans

Hi Andy

Sorry to hear that you find yourself in the same situation that I did.

I took one look at the the cost of replacement bearings and decided to try a different approach.

I managed to source a decent second hand bottom linkage from the auction site.

Johnnie Mototrans

Just nipped out to the garage to prove that I never throw anything away.

Yup the rusted bottom bracket was still there waiting for me.

I flung it into the vice and, out of curiosity, picked out a half inch socket extension together with Thor the copper headed king of all hammers.

A few well judged whacks produced no results whatsoever. No surprise.

Looking at Fowlers parts they do still seem to sell the needle rollers to rebuild the thing. So it must be possible at a cost.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5840432/nc750x-abs/rear-cushion

My next move would be heat and lots of it.

Blow torch or oven if she's out.

Or alternatively apply lots of cold.

Try the Crack it shock freeze release spray from Scewfix.

Do you know anyone with a hydraulic press or a selection of pulleys?

Perhaps the local garage?

If all else fails then I reckon that with careful use of a hacksaw you could cut the bearings without damaging the linkage.

If that then fails, well, you can have mine and try again.

Good luck

Johnnie

• Like 1
jeremyr62

I've got a complete linkage off a 2018 Integra if you are interested. Probably cheaper than buying all the bearings. 

I checked it would fit most NCs but if you are interested you'd best cross check part numbers on the Fowlers website.

Thanks everyone for the help and support, I decided to try and repair, so ordered the parts from fowlers.

The worst bearing for collapse was the lower dog bone pivot, this bearing had completely collapsed and one side had become elliptical. I am reasonably fortunate that I work for a large automotive manufacturer in one of the maintenance departments and have access to a mechanical press. So tonight I took the assembly into work and have been able to remove all the bearings from the assembly and get the new ones pressed in. The problem I have now is the other end of the dog bone that connects to the swing arm, I need to replace these bearings as they too are in poor condition. I suspect I know the answer to this, whether I like it or not, but I am going to "borrow" a set of bearing pullers and try and do this from home, but failing this I will have to remove the swingarm and bring this in to the mechanical press to remove. Slightly more difficult due to the size but needs must. Any tips for removing the swingarm .......

• Like 1
jeremyr62

Removing the swingarm on the NC is very straightforward. There is nothing you won't be able to do and no gotchas. When I was messing with my suspension and swapping my Sachs Tuono shock in an out, I had to remove the swingarm everytime. As long as you take your time and be methodical it is a very easy job. Best if you have something to support it when putting it back in, like another person or robust boxes, as the steel OE version is quite heavy.

Johnnie Mototrans
11 hours ago, gz3cx8 said:

Thanks everyone for the help and support, I decided to try and repair, so ordered the parts from fowlers.

The worst bearing for collapse was the lower dog bone pivot, this bearing had completely collapsed and one side had become elliptical. I am reasonably fortunate that I work for a large automotive manufacturer in one of the maintenance departments and have access to a mechanical press. So tonight I took the assembly into work and have been able to remove all the bearings from the assembly and get the new ones pressed in. The problem I have now is the other end of the dog bone that connects to the swing arm, I need to replace these bearings as they too are in poor condition. I suspect I know the answer to this, whether I like it or not, but I am going to "borrow" a set of bearing pullers and try and do this from home, but failing this I will have to remove the swingarm and bring this in to the mechanical press to remove. Slightly more difficult due to the size but needs must. Any tips for removing the swingarm .......

Thanks Andy

How much did you pay for the bearings and did the old ones push through no bother with the hydraulic press?

Thanks Jeremy, it’s nearly time to crack on, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Johnnie, I paid the list price from fowlers which I think were about £20 each. I think I may have been able to get them cheaper but don’t really have time on my side, I am working nights this week which means I can use the wife’s car while the bike is off the road, but need it back working for next week when I have no alternative transport.

The press we have at work isn’t hydraulic it’s a manual mechanical one, the name escapes me, I’ll find out when I get in and post later. I did just push them through, they did need a significant amount of encouragement particularly the collapsed one and I was worried about the outer race getting stuck and causing damage, but slow and steady won the race.

now let’s get the swing arm off …

• Thanks 1

Sing arm off with no drama, although it took longer to degrease and clean it then it did to remove it 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Brought it in to work and pushed the old bearings out and got the new ones in. Gonna check the top shock bearing before assembly tomorrow, and then gonna get it all back together.

Once again thanks to everyone for the help, advice and support, this forum

is so helpful.

I really wish I had tuned in to it sooner and then maybe would have been able to do the preventative work more thoroughly rather than waiting for things to fail.

By the way the press at work is a Norton Fly Press 👍👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1