Clumsy tw@t

zeerocks23

zeerocks23

I was doing a bit of work on my 2021 NC750X.

Removed the pillion seat and managed to drop one of the nuts and it disappeared down the rear mudguard (rear fender?) between the tank and mudguard.

Is there a quick way to disconnect the forward end of the mudguard to see if I can retrieve the nut?

At the same time recover the washer from the rear seat stay that disappeared the same route.

Can the side cover  be removed without removing all the fairings in front of it?

Edited by zeerocks23

Not having a 2021 I can’t help but most of the rattles on my 2020 were from unretrieved washers, nuts and, yes, a socket…..Good luck!

• Haha 4
Andy m

It's a hideous Kumiki of brittle plastic. IIRC you need to free up the fairing to remove the side panels. You Tube?

Try fishing with a magnet or long screwdriver with a blob of grease on the end first. Or just buy a new fastener and let vibration send the old one back into the wild.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sigh 1

I agree with Andy, gotta b a magnet or blob of grease on a stick trick. Telescopic magnet thingy is one of my handiest tools. 

zeerocks23

I'll have a look tomorrow. see what I can see.

I remember doing a similar thing with my 2014 model. 
I bought a new bolt. 

• Like 3

Pick the bike up and give it a shake :D. Chances are it'll do not harm where it is and will shake itself free when you go for a spin. Grease on a stick as suggested above works a treat. I've used a telescopic magnet in the past which also works well. Good luck.

• Haha 1
zeerocks23

Managed to get the side panels off without removing the rear cowl. Just take out the plastic rivet. (good to know).

i have a cheap endocsope thing so had a poke about in the space above the mudguard (rear fender B?).

Managed to find the washer and retrieved with the magnet attachment on the 'scope.

I was considering going through and removing the mudguard but would have been a day at it with all the stuff removed.

(seats, rear cowl, fender A, rear light etc.)

And no guarantee of finding the lost nut or that I'd not lose more fasteners in the process.

Decided to take your collective advice and leave it be. Got a replacement nut so if the lost one is shaken out on the next trip so be it.

Noticed that the fasteners at the top of the shock unit are crusty rusty. Think the bike had winter use by last owner.

• Like 2

I guarantee if you take everything off you won't find the missing item. Then 2 days later having bought new item you will find missing item on the floor near the bike.

Glad it's worked out ok.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
zeerocks23

I think my main lesson is if working on anything above the seats, cover the tank area back to the tail light with a cloth just in case bits get dropped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
john mackay

when I removed the panels off to get them resprayed.

a few things fell on the floor to that was lost at some point. lol

Edited by john mackay
  • Haha 3
Andy m

Look what plopped out of the Cub's sprocket cover when I removed it to refit the chain

20231118-151719-01.jpg

This little @#$ started in the ignition switch cover up by the head stock. I assume it either travelled down the legshield or described some sort of parabola as it shot off the screwdriver.

Anyway, that's a wood screw saved for another day.

Andy

Slowboy
2 hours ago, Andy m said:

Look what plopped out of the Cub's sprocket cover when I removed it to refit the chain

20231118-151719-01.jpg

This little @#$ started in the ignition switch cover up by the head stock. I assume it either travelled down the legshield or described some sort of parabola as it shot off the screwdriver.

Anyway, that's a wood screw saved for another day.

Andy

Be careful Andy, you have revealed and example of the mystical migration and displacement in time and space of the feared self releasing, self taping fairing retaining screw. These are rumoured to have a life force of their own and no one has ever successfully discovered their real intent and purpose.
All we really know is that they end up in other parts of the vehicle, often over a foot away from where they originated. Are they struggling to secure the veneration of the threaded fittings, the cast fittings or the rotating equipment? Are they attempting a takeover of the whole machine or trying to encourage other fittings that are committed to holding things together to take their own, looser approach? 
I believe you’ve had a lucky escape and may have avoided a rapid unscheduled dismantlement that must surely follow the revolutionary influence of these poorly focused fasteners.

I believe the only way to combat them is, when found they are placed in a correctional vortex with other malingering fasteners, an old jam jar is favourite as it focusses the Ley lines and prevents further migration. It is better if these are then placed on a high shelf behind an old, nearly empty, oil can and only released when the vehicle from which they came has moved on, possibly years later.

Those of us who’ve encountered them fear them…..

Sir Plumbly Xavier Box-Ovfrogs.

Whoop whopp and toodle pip.

Edited by Slowboy
  • Haha 5
listener

A case of quantum disentanglement, innit?! :lecture:

Somewhere in the universe a left-handed screw has simultaneously reinserted itself into a hole after evacuating a sprocket cover. :D

• Haha 1