Fuel tank unlocking problems

PeterE

Hi all. NC750 2017 model is the bike. The problem is that the key won’t go all the way into the ‘tank’ storage. This means I can neither get to my lunch nor open the petrol tank. I suspect the tumblers - or at least last one has jammed. Tried WD40, AC50, hot water, compressed air picking with long needles and it still won’t go all the way in. I need to put petrol in, any suggestions as to what to do?

Defender

I have an 'OG' NC'X, I'm fairly sure that the key doesn't go all the way into the Frunk/tank release key slot, there is some resistance to turning it initially, but I'm not close enough to my bike to check it.

Long shot, have you tried pushing down on the passenger seat or frunk lid as you turn the key? It takes a bit of pressure off the locking mechanism.

Just now, NC Mick said:

Long shot, have you tried pushing down on the passenger seat or frunk lid as you turn the key? It takes a bit of pressure off the locking mechanism.

I do this regardless these days.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I’m not too sure the key is being blocked as I can’t recall how deep it goes. It may be helpful if someone could advise as that would indicate whether it’s blocked or tumblers are jammed. 
I haven’t tried the seat pushing and will tonight. The key doesn’t turn either way though so it’s tank and seat that are locked.

21 hours ago, NC Mick said:

I do this regardless these days.

Will try tonight 

21 hours ago, Defender said:

I have an 'OG' NC'X, I'm fairly sure that the key doesn't go all the way into the Frunk/tank release key slot, there is some resistance to turning it initially, but I'm not close enough to my bike to check it.

Please could you check, this will help a lot

Slowboy

For what it’s worth, my NC700x key never went all the way in to the trunk/rear seat release, it stood pretty proud of it. I always found a bit of light pressure above the mechanism on either the seat or the trunk helped. The other thing that helped as well was not pressing the key harder into the lock when turning it. Possibly try backing it off a bit?

Has the lock ever been lubricated? It might have partially seized. A bit of WD40 might help. Apologies if you’ve already gone down this route. Just some thoughts.

• Like 1
listener

I just nipped out to my 2018 X.

The key goes into the ignition all the way up to the top of the bitting*.

It stops around 2mm short in the tank/frunk lock.

* That's the grooved part.

Edited by listener
2 hours ago, Jamesc said:

2021 if that helps

IMG-20231119-201428517.jpg

That’s about as deep as mine is going thanks. This rules out the key not going in enough due to being blocked. 

2 hours ago, listener said:

I just nipped out to my 2018 X.

The key goes into the ignition all the way up to the top of the bitting*.

It stops around 2mm short in the tank/frunk lock.

* That's the grooved part.

Thanks, see the next post with photo. Great help

6 hours ago, Slowboy said:

For what it’s worth, my NC700x key never went all the way in to the trunk/rear seat release, it stood pretty proud of it. I always found a bit of light pressure above the mechanism on either the seat or the trunk helped. The other thing that helped as well was not pressing the key harder into the lock when turning it. Possibly try backing it off a bit?

Has the lock ever been lubricated? It might have partially seized. A bit of WD40 might help. Apologies if you’ve already gone down this route. Just some thoughts.

6 hours ago, Slowboy said:

Hi thanks for the tips. Yes I’ve tried oiling it but that’s in the key slot only, not the whole mechanism. 

I will try backing it off.

What is the pressure doing? I am understanding that there may be a sub mechanism that is jamming and in turn preventing the key turning- is this correct?

Slowboy
27 minutes ago, PeterE said:

….What is the pressure doing? I am understanding that there may be a sub mechanism that is jamming and in turn preventing the key turning- is this correct?

Pressing down on the edge of the seat or the trunk will take some of the load off the cables as they release the latching mechanism under either. It can make quite a difference to how hard it is to turn the key.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Slowboy said:

Pressing down on the edge of the seat or the trunk will take some of the load off the cables as they release the latching mechanism under either. It can make quite a difference to how hard it is to turn the key.

Is there another way to get to these cables?

Have you tried your spare key in the lock to see if that works in case it is just wear on the key you have been using?

There is no easy way to get to either operating cable otherwise it would be easy for a third party to get into your frunk or fuel tank. To remove panels that would help with access will need the frunk lid or seat open to access the fixings (certainly on the 2021 on model). I would suggest seeing if your local Honda dealer or a local locksmith can help first, probably cheaper in the long run than forcing the lock or access panels yourself. 

• Like 3

Hi, yes tried the spare - no joy. 

I think with all the help so far, I have ascertained the problem is not the lock itself but the mechanism below the lock that pulls the cables. Locksmith therefore won’t help. I’m quite mechanically minded so just need to hear from someone who has accessed the tank so I know where to start.

Just now, PeterE said:

Hi, yes tried the spare - no joy. 

I think with all the help so far, I have ascertained the problem is not the lock itself but the mechanism below the lock that pulls the cables. Locksmith therefore won’t help. I’m quite mechanically minded so just need to hear from someone who has accessed the tank so I know where to start.

I have found this somewhere on this forum - 

Lift as much as you can the left side of trunk. See the two hexagonal  screws. Unscrew them with L shaped small key. 

Force to open the plastics. I ended breaking one fixing at the back of the plastic, but thats nothing critical and not visible from outside. Later you can weld it back. Unscrew the black plastic on the top left, so you can now see the actual inner side of lock mechanism from the side. Take the long (30cm) metal screwdriver or smth and poke the mechanism - and boot will magically open. 

On 18/11/2023 at 12:40, PeterE said:

Hi all. NC750 2017 model is the bike. The problem is that the key won’t go all the way into the ‘tank’ storage. This means I can neither get to my lunch nor open the petrol tank. I suspect the tumblers - or at least last one has jammed. Tried WD40, AC50, hot water, compressed air picking with long needles and it still won’t go all the way in. I need to put petrol in, any suggestions as to what to do?

I have finally got in using the advice n in the comments I attached. I took fotos so will do my own thread on it. Thanks for all the advice and input. 

• Like 6