Dct creeping at lights

F.Honda750xd

F.Honda750xd

Hi all I've a 750 dct x 2018 and once the bike is warmed up and I stop at lights if I don't hold the front brake the bike slowly moves forward as if the clutch is engaging. The revs are just above 1 and just my leg power is enough to stop it and keep it stationary. Any idea what can be causing this?? 

DaveM59

Tickover should be 850ish. Needs adjusting down a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you adjust the tickover speed. I thought the ECU took care of that. Sounds like it needs the clutch reset job to me.

Slowboy

from the manual:
ENGINE IDLE SPEED NOTE:

chapter 3-12
• Inspect the idle speed after all other engine maintenance items have been performed and are within specifications .
•Before checking the idle speed, inspect the following items. - No OTC and MIL blinking
- Spark plug condition (page 3-7)
- Air cleaner element condition (page 3-6)
The engine must be warm for accurate idle speed inspection.
This system eliminates the need for manual idle speed adjustment compared to previous designs.
Turn the ignition switch ON and engine stop switch"()". Start the engine and let it idle.
Check the idle speed.
IDLE SPEED: 1,200 ± 100 rpm
If the idle speed is out of the specification, check the following:
- Intake air leak or engine top-end problem (page 10-4)
- Throttle operation and freeplay (page 3-4)
- IACV operation (page 7-21)

Edited by Slowboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
alhendo1

I've just read a tinternet thread on dct creep and high idle....think it was a US forum....symptoms are the same as yours....in that thread they talk about water in sensors after power washing....it apparently rectifies itself after a couple of good runs.....has your bike got excessively wet recently?

F.Honda750xd

Thanks for all the imput I'll try to get the revs down a bit and also consider doing the clutch reset procedure. As for the water ingres I'd definitely rule that out as I never ride in the wet and remains under cover constantly. Cheers. 

• Thanks 2
Andy m

Wrong oil? Dealers never read the spec.

Andy

Dan German
On 17/01/2024 at 08:45, F.Honda750xd said:

Hi all I've a 750 dct x 2018 and once the bike is warmed up and I stop at lights if I don't hold the front brake the bike slowly moves forward as if the clutch is engaging. The revs are just above 1 and just my leg power is enough to stop it and keep it stationary. Any idea what can be causing this?? 

That would likely be the correct idle speed. As previously mentioned, 1200 + or - 100 is the spec.

Dan German
On 18/01/2024 at 10:53, Andy m said:

Wrong oil? Dealers never read the spec.

Andy

I wouldn’t say “never.” I’ve not heard of my dealership using anything but the correct oil. I have heard of customers insisting on an inappropriate oil because the “heard on the interwebs” (they don’t get their way), but we have preset invoices for every model of bike, appropriate bulk oils in stock, and litres on the shelf for other motorcycle brands if needed. I’m not saying we never make a mistake, but choosing the right oil is kind of a no-brainer in a dealership setting.

poldark
4 minutes ago, Dan German said:

I wouldn’t say “never.” I’ve not heard of my dealership using anything but the correct oil. I have heard of customers insisting on an inappropriate oil because the “heard on the interwebs” (they don’t get their way), but we have preset invoices for every model of bike, appropriate bulk oils in stock, and litres on the shelf for other motorcycle brands if needed. I’m not saying we never make a mistake, but choosing the right oil is kind of a no-brainer in a dealership setting.

I think Andy's point is the DCT version having a specific need for 10W30 as opposed to non-DCT and the potential for "some" dealers to not be aware (or attentive enough) to not use their business-as-usual bulk 10W40.

• Thanks 1
Dan German
1 hour ago, poldark said:

I think Andy's point is the DCT version having a specific need for 10W30 as opposed to non-DCT and the potential for "some" dealers to not be aware (or attentive enough) to not use their business-as-usual bulk 10W40.

Oh, there are certainly dealers around here I wouldn’t trust to get it right even with their own brands of bike. And as for oil, our Honda bulk oil is GN4 10W30. Most Hondas new enough to be coming to the dealer for service use that. (I have noticed that some markets have different oil specs and availability. Honda itself has some types of oil in the UK that aren’t offered here, and I don’t think the climate differences can account for that. A mystery.) 

• Like 1