Oil level post service

MPG100

MPG100

Only few miles ago my nc750x was dealer serviced which inc coolant, oil and brake fluid change. Whilst deep cleaning the bike I noticed the coolant level only just above min (Bike upright engine cold). So I checked oil level and only very tip of dipstick had oil on it unscrewed and few mm above min with dipstick screwed right in (with engine run for 5mins, then stopped for 3mins with bike upright). Am surprised the oil warning light wasn't on. I checked YTube oil clip by the respected by ozzy chap nc750 STUFF and am now confused over what to expect.Also, how do I check brake fluid level as main reservoir not transparent (rear is transparent and at full level).

Bikes runs and stops fine and only 10k miles..........Agghhh!

crazyhorse

Can you shine a light at the back of the reservoir to see the level?

skorpion

Take photos email them to the dealer expressing your dissatisfaction at the sloppy service,. ask what they are going to do about it, you never know you may get a satisfactory answer, or suck it up and fill to correct levels yourself.

Servicing yourself at least you know it's been done correctly, but do it in the warmer months as I find it's too cold in winter. lol

• Like 1
jeremyr62

The coolant will expand as it gets hot so I really wouldn't about that. Just top the oil off if you think it's a bit low. Life's too short to be fretting about trivialities like that.

• Like 3
Xactly

The coolant level sometimes needs adding to if all the air hasn't been expelled from the system, but it should have been done properly by the dealer. I'd just top it up myself. No big deal if over-filled as the excess will be ejected through the overflow. Different from excessive over-filling of oil, but again I'd just top it up. (Actually I nearly always do it myself anyway - warranty isn't a big issue for me). 

• Like 3
Grumpy old man

If the oil shows on the dipstick when it's unscrewed and the bike is upright and level then it will only take a spit to bring it up so no damage done there, the coolant with an upright cold bike is fine just above min.

The main/ front brake reservoir should have a window to see the level can't understand it if it hasn't.

With the oil ride to the dealer and ask them to top it up, I'm sure they will it may take a few drops.

Good luck

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 1
MPG100

Embarrassing but the heated grips power controller was hiding the brake reservoir window, and at least that was full :doh:. I did wonder if dealer servicing policy was to only fill to min levels, I guess on say 2500 bikes a year that would add up to useful and legal saving. Will top up bike fluids myself as don't fancy riding in winter, the perks of retirement eh!! Thks chaps!

• Like 2
Xactly

The cost of riding to the dealer is probably more than a little oil...

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, Xactly said:

Yeah! But you get a ride out,  get to look at some nice bikes ( could be dangerous) and you might/should get an explanation and it also makes the dealer aware your watching. 

But you could buy some oil use a few drops and waste the rest because it's an NC and doesn't use oil between services. 😁

• Like 1
Trev

Most bike engines have pretty small oil capacity so the difference between a bit too little or a bit too much (as the dealer did to my V85 on a very 'rare to me' dealer service) and although frustrating it's very unlikely to cause any issue where oil is concerned.

Just chalk it down to lack of attention to detail that most dealers apply compared to a competent home service or a reputable independent.

I would be more concerned about taking your bike to that dealer to do a valve check and adjust; will they even bother (there are ways and means of checking they do at least take the covers off) and if they do an adjustment, is it done correctly? There is an opportunity for lasting damage/affect performance.

• Like 2
Grumpy old man
2 hours ago, Trev said:

Most bike engines have pretty small oil capacity so the difference between a bit too little or a bit too much (as the dealer did to my V85 on a very 'rare to me' dealer service) and although frustrating it's very unlikely to cause any issue where oil is concerned.

Just chalk it down to lack of attention to detail that most dealers apply compared to a competent home service or a reputable independent.

I would be more concerned about taking your bike to that dealer to do a valve check and adjust; will they even bother (there are ways and means of checking they do at least take the covers off) and if they do an adjustment, is it done correctly? There is an opportunity for lasting damage/affect performance.

That's why I'd take the bike back and give the dealer the benefit. If the bike isn't quite level when taking the measurement it could make a big difference and only just above the min with the coolant cool is fine the brake fluid levels are good.

Now! When I had mine serviced at a Honda dealer it didn't even reach the dipstick, they sprayed grease over seized links they left the chain adjustment nuts loose with the end plates rattling off ( I'd had new rear tyre fitted). Cancelled my service plan and done self service since.

• Like 2
MPG100
On 22/01/2024 at 12:01, Xactly said:

I braced myself and went to the dealers today and learnt a few things. Starting with the dealer is closed on Wednesdays..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Sigh 1
Andy m

The American description is actually accurate here, the engine has an oil PAN. Image a frying pan with a cup of oil poured in . Spec says it should be a quarter of an inch deep. Wobble the pan and you'll achieve this or zero or 3/4 very easily. Measure the volume and ignore the depth is best.

I don't really recall the NC, but to get consistency on most Hondas:

Go for a ride

Get home, unscrew the dip stick.

Get your riding kit off

Get the bike upright on the wheels (I usually stick a block under the side stand)

Drop in but don't screw down the dipstick

Wants to read between the first cross on the hashed bit and the middle.

Full to the top is as bad as the very bottom. Anywhere on the stick means you have at least 1000 miles to improve things.

I'm betting either somebodies floor slopes or the dealer rushed it. 

This is why I don't use dealers. Unless it's your drive that slopes they owe you about 100ml of oil. Cheaper for them than you buying a bottle, but hassle for you. 

@Trev is spot on, sort this one by the easiest route but don't let this dealer touch anything important (unless it's spot on middle in their carpark).

Andy

Edited by Andy m
MPG100

Cheers all, hadn't realised difference between oil Min & Max was sooooooooo small, and given I will be just topping up that's well worth knowing!

• Like 1