DCT or not DCT?

LLUIS

Taileron
7 hours ago, Slowboy said:

Always amazes me how owners of JLR vehicles give them a pass even though they are consistently among the least reliable vehicles on the road. I suppose at least a Range Rover is a lovely place to sit while your waiting for the man in the yellow truck 😁😁😎

About 10 years ago JLR was in the process of recruiting staff to work at the new engine plant, they made a concerted effort to recruit Aircraft Technicians. Many left the trade to go onto pastures new, more money, better facilities, treated with respect, etc etc etc, it was the land of milk and honey….or not.

Many have now returned to being Aircraft Technicians again….some of the stories I have been told certainly raise an eyebrow. Strangely none of them drive anything made by JLR which is odd as they have a serious staff discount scheme. A good friend of mine was handed a bill for over 12k last year for a replacement engine in his 4 year old Jaguar F pace, average mileage, FDSH.

Edited by Taileron
  • Like 2
baldric
23 hours ago, Andy m said:

Psst, wanna buy an unlocked head gasket for a 2024 Tesla?

Wonderful, just wonderful.

• Like 2
Tegraman
1 hour ago, Taileron said:

12k last year for a replacement engine in his 4 year old Jaguar F pace, average mileage, FDSH.

Blimey! Every one of the multi-squillion parts of that engine needed to be replaced at that single moment!

• Like 1
Taileron
42 minutes ago, Tegraman said:

Blimey! Every one of the multi-squillion parts of that engine needed to be replaced at that single moment!

It was a main dealer and he got stitched right up. It was trailered in as it refused to start on his driveway, they then had him sign some paperwork to run diagnostics, a few days later he gets a call stating that they can’t diagnose the problem and recommend further stripping, he agreed to, big mistake. About 5 days later he gets presented with a 6k bill for diagnostics and is informed it’s thrown a bearing which has “ruined” his engine, but they can “do him a favour”  and replace the engine for 6k. He is 74 years old and of the old school approach that main dealers wouldn’t stitch him up, they are going to replace his engine for 6k…..he didn’t understand that it was 6k for the diagnostic plus 6k for a new engine.

They compete the work, he pays the 12k bill and off he trots upset but unable to do anything. It all gets out of hand a week or so later when his son hears about this and pays them a visit. His son is about 6ft 6” and a big time weight lifter and MMA fighter,  things get properly out of control in the dealership, and at that I will leave this sorry tale. 

Tegraman
25 minutes ago, Taileron said:

he pays the 12k bill

I feel really sorry for the chap. Injustice makes me feel disagreeable towards those who take advantage. 

To put that bill into perspective, I just did a quick tot up and the sum total of what I’ve paid for cars, (bearing in mind I’ve been driving since my teens, and I’ll be 73 in May), is less than his repair bill. I admit it's a false picture, though, because I’ve never bought anything less than 12 years old, always total MOT failures, for peanuts, (the cheapest was a splendid Fiat 1800 that cost £6 because the seller beat me up by a pound), and then rebuilt them. My wife hated our family car when we were first together, it was a homemade “Hustler” kit car, made out of marine ply with sliding doors and plexiglass windows. The mechanicals were mostly based on mini subframes and drive unit, but parts of other cars were represented in various parts. It was our only vehicle for three years and I eventually sold it for slightly more than it cost me to build it. The design was by the late William Towns, of Aston Martin Lagonda fame. I still have some photos of it, might dig them out one day to show the grand kids. 

• Like 3