Toolkit for basic repairs

Resali

Resali

Hi all! 

I’m new here. 

I’m looking for any suggestions for a basic toolkit that will help me fix/adjust a few things myself without having to pop to the garage every time. I’ve only been on a ‘big bike’ since December, so still fairly new to all this, but I can see myself service a few things myself going forward.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy m

Best to buy individual tools as you go. That way everything has a purpose. You Tube videos will often list the sizes, but many you can just measure when you start thinking about ordering filters or whatever.

The quality of single items tends to be better too. Rolls of every size spanner from 2mm to 200mm from the jumble sale section at Aldi will be poor fitting and really wreck every fastener they touch. 

On an NC I can't think of much more required than chain adjustment once a year. IIRC that's a 12mm and a 17mm? The sump plug will be 12 or 14. The oil filter is a cup wrench.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3
Trev

A decent set of Allen keys won't cost much and could come in useful (screen adjust, battery removal, etc) as it's surprising how tight even plastic body panel bolts can be from factory, or at least how the 'binding' between rubber washers and plastic.

And of course a tyre pressure guage.

• Like 3
Steve Case

gurt big 'ammer.

show it to the bike and tell it thats what its gonna get if it breaks down...

• Haha 8
Defender

I have tools from both Aldi and Lidl, a ratchet spanner set, a torque wrench with wheel nut sized socket and a few others, they are good quality and fit fasteners well, not chewing the corners etc. 

• Like 2
VinnyB
Just now, Defender said:

I have tools from both Aldi and Lidl, a ratchet spanner set, a torque wrench with wheel nut sized socket and a few others, they are good quality and fit fasteners well, not chewing the corners etc. 

+1 for Aldi and Lidl tools, everything I've bought from both has been good quality.

• Like 1
Trev
37 minutes ago, Defender said:

33 minutes ago, VinnyB said:

+1 for Aldi and Lidl tools, everything I've bought from both has been good quality.

I've also bought tools from both Aldi and Lidl and they've been okay however, if starting from scratch, I would recommend going for a decent basic set of those tools you use most often tools (Allen keys, spanners, small socket set, pliers, etc) and buy the best you can reasonably afford. They will save you money, and grief, in the long run. 

• Like 6
VinnyB

Halfords tools are good quality and pretty good value for money, especially compared to the big boys and their advanced range have a lifetime guarantee 

• Like 6
alhendo1
1 hour ago, VinnyB said:

Halfords tools are good quality and pretty good value for money, especially compared to the big boys and their advanced range have a lifetime guarantee 

+1 for Halfords..I'veused mine a fair bit and all good so far...I keep my receipt in the box incase one ever fails....we'll see if they honour their guarantee👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Skidt

As above…….

I’ve had Halfords Advanced tools for a good few years now. Can’t justify the extra expense of the premium brands with my manual dexterity. My first 30 piece (iirc) set, has been by far the best investment I’ve made in tools. Still my go to tools for the routine bike maintenance. 

The only issue that I’ve had with them is the spring on the smallest ratchet handle failed ages ago. This means that the socket often falls off (normally into a fairly inaccessible place on the bike). 
I don’t believe that the ratchet handle springs are covered by the lifetime guarantee, hence I’ve never bothered taking it back.
Still completely useable and no sockets have broken on me as yet. 

Worth waiting until they have one of their sales events on, as they do decent discounts. 

• Like 4
VinnyB
41 minutes ago, alhendo1 said:

+1 for Halfords..I'veused mine a fair bit and all good so far...I keep my receipt in the box incase one ever fails....we'll see if they honour their guarantee👍

One of their staff told me that you don't need a receipt to get a replacement, everything is stamped so they know it's theirs and with a lifetime guarantee it doesn't matter when you bought it

• Thanks 1
Xactly

I usually go to Halfords these days if I need a socket or something in a size I don't have. They're good enough for what I need. Then again right at the beginning of my spanner twirling over 50 years ago I bought a German Gedore toolset in a cantilever toolbox that I still have. All the tools (chrome vanadium) are still accurate and the socket ratchet is too. They've had a fair bit of use over the years maintaining and repairing Brit bikes using AF and Whitworth tools as well as metric for most other makes. Over the years I've built up a decent collection of tools. I bought it from one of those mail order catalogues that my mother used to have, paying over 38 weeks at 5/- per week or thereabouts.

• Like 4
Steve Case

Yep same as that, they tend not to quibble when you take stuff back and some of the stuff is v. Good quality like the norbar tourque wrenches.

• Like 2

One tool that is not included in the tool set that comes with the bike, is a ring spanner for the rear axle. I bought a ring - C combi spanner and ground off the C end. Wrapped in bubble foil it fits nicely under the pillion seat. It is an essential tool if you need to adjust the chain tension, as we once had to do on an extended camping trip.

• Like 1