Filter change (DCT)

MatBin

MatBin

I usually change oil and filters annually regardless of mileage, however, last year I did very little riding.

So, in my head I reckon the oil is fine, but, I don't like leaving filters soaking in oil (inside the bike) for months without it being used. Consequently I am thinking of only changing the filters, both, as usual.

Questions are,

A is this a good idea

B can you remove and replace filters without losing loads of oil

C should I drain the oil into a clean container before replacing the filters and re-use afterwards.

There are 2 reasons I don't particularly want to replace the oil, financial as the oil has done so few miles and, environmental, I see no reason to throw away good oil and add to the pollution.

What do others think?

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 1
Johnnie Mototrans

I dont really see the point of that Matt

Plenty vehicles get two oil changes per filter swap.

I have never heard of anyone doing it the other way round.

If you parked up with almost brand new oil and filters then, apart from a little condensation that will cook off, I dont see what could have deteriorated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Andy m

Just go ride.

Andy

• Like 3
MatBin
3 minutes ago, Johnnie Mototrans said:

I dont really see the point of that Matt

Plenty vehicles get two oil changes per filter swap.

I have never heard of anyone doing it the other way round.

If you parked up with almost brand new oil and filters then, apart from a little condensation that will cook off, I dont see what could have deteriorated.

Years ago after a winter layup my bike seized and there were filter particles in the oilways, made me a bit paranoid about using a bike without changing filters after a layup. Then again it was in the early 80's so things may have improved 😁 in filter design. Be a shame to kill another engine though.

Slowboy
27 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Years ago after a winter layup my bike seized and there were filter particles in the oilways, made me a bit paranoid about using a bike without changing filters after a layup. Then again it was in the early 80's so things may have improved 😁 in filter design. Be a shame to kill another engine though.

I think stuff might have improved a little in 40 years. Just my thought……

• Like 2
Johnnie Mototrans
27 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Then do a full oil and filter change and set off for thousands of miles of worry free riding this summer.

Oil is cheap.

Even expensive oil is cheap.

Engines are expensive.

Even cheap engines are expensive.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
listener
4 hours ago, MatBin said:

There are 2 reasons I don't particularly want to replace the oil, financial as the oil has done so few miles and, environmental, I see no reason to throw away good oil and add to the pollution.

Just leave it in there. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

• Sad 1
Slowboy
6 hours ago, listener said:

Just leave it in there. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

That’s not Mr Dobbs Bonnie is it? Asking for a friend 😈

• Haha 5
MatBin

Bit the bullet, oil from SBS at £38 for 4 litres of 10/30 and a couple of filters from Wemoto, all delivered in double quick time, just need it warm and dry so I can do a service.

• Like 3
Johnnie Mototrans

Neither warm nor dry here either.

MatBin

Nor here. No garage either.

• Like 1
john mackay

not so much the oil or filter but water or should I say condensation.

folks starting their bike and run for a few minutes is the problem thinking they're lubing the engine.

best to turn it over without starting it .

• Like 3
Defender

This is an issue for all most as long as the 'ICE' has been around, but these days oils and their additives are far more sophisticated and better at lubricating than they were and oil filters are better too.

I worked with a guy many years ago who's retired father had a really nice early/mid '80's (ish) VW Golf, he'd washed and polished it almost every weekend and went shopping in it every couple of weeks or so, which was a round trip of a colossal 7 or 8 miles at most, it was a bit more if/when he had to put some petrol in it, which really wasn't very often!

Anyway, when it became time for this car to go, my colleague thought it would be worth a small fortune as it'd done so few miles, but it had only ever had the oil changed at the required mileage and the cam belt had never been changed in almost 16 years, when it should have been on at least it's third one by then!

He couldn't understand why people weren't ripping his arm off to buy it, he was completely blinded by it's low mileage rather than it's service history?

At the end of the day, oil and filters are much cheaper than a new engine or a rebuild.........