Pirelli Angel Tyres

Gringo

Gringo

My 2017 750X DCT is about to need boots front and rear. I've been offered a pair of Pirelli Angel's for £195 (fitted to loose wheels). Has anyone used these? I'm not a knee down speed merchant, just an old duffer who poodles the open roads at a sensible (?) pace. I'd appreciate your feedback on these.

• Like 1
Empty_Ten

I’ve used the Angel GT and GT2’s extensively. A fantastic, all round tyre which is great in the cold and wet as well.  Fantastic mileage/longevity (I’d expect 10,000+ miles at a minimum).  

For that price I’d say it’s the Angel ST’s that you’ve been quoted for?  Which by all accounts get very good reviews as well and I’m sure would be more than adequate for your use.  I don’t think you can go wrong with any modern tyre - and certainly for road use you will run of skill before the tyre runs out of capability.

I’ve gone back to the Michelin Road series as I personally prefer the increased feel and feedback they give (anecdotally). But at near double the price, some would argue it’s not worth it.  As I now do social miles only, I can justify it as a set will go much further now rather than  12-18 months like they did before 

Edited by Empty_Ten
  • Like 2
Defender

Tyres are a whole can of worms that can divide/fracture any forum in an instant?!

After my NC'X's OEM fitted Metzelers, I had two pairs/sets of Michelin PR3's, they were great and always gave great confidence, especially in the wet.

When I needed a set in late 2022, I was offered a set of Metzeler RoadTech 01's, which I accepted, but somehow they just aren't quite up to the standard of PR3's.

It's just my feeling, I have no data that I can give to support it, other that the feel of the ride etc?

Just as a side bar, I buy my car tyres on wet weather grip rating, nothing other than an 'A' rating gets a look in, as when it's wet that's when you need the best/ultimate grip?

So go with what feels right and suits your style is my feeling on this subject, as Empty_Ten has said, it's very difficult to go wrong with a modern tyre, they just differ in how they act/react in some marginal situations?!

As someone (a very well know racer and commentator) said when a 'biking celebrity' was questioning a particular set/type of tyres, 'Do you mean to tell me that you have more talent than those tyres have grip?"   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Rocker66

I always reply to the question “ which are the best tyres?” With “the ones that you’re happiest on”

• Like 3
Andy131

Having lost the will to live after reading the 37 pages about the rapid wearing Dunlop tyres I would like to ask the question "which are the best tyres" - not having the years of experience of you lot and not wanting to spend a fortune on trying out loads of tyres.

Bike is a Oct 2023 NC, it's fitted with Metzler Tourance from new - 2,600 miles and they look like new, it could be me that panics when it's wet, but they don't install confidence.  I don't care about wear rates (2,000 miles would be fine) but I don't want to potter around for 30 miles in the rain waiting for the tyres to warm up - I can't ride further than 100 miles,

Then again does any tyre grip on a wet manhole cover?

Until 2 years ago I hadn't ridden a motorbike in anger for 40 years, back then tyres lasted a million miles and gripped like they were made out of PTFE (non-stick), I had many many visits to A&E including but not limited to, shattered left arm, broken right elbow, both legs broken, fractured hip, punctured lung (several times) and wrongly pronounced dead at the scene - you get the idea.  At the grand old age of 64 I am fairly sure that I will not mend as quickly as I did.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
VinnyB

Wow, I'd never realised how dangerous motorbikes can be.😦

• Haha 4
Andy131

Motorbikes are very safe.

Motorcyclists on the other hand are no necessarily so, 20 years old, more bravery than skill.

Now 64 a lot less bravery and a darn site less skill.

• Haha 6
listener

I've had both STs & GTs in the past, @Gringo.

Very good rubber.

And like you, I don't get my knee down - it's sometimes a struggle getting my foot down! :oldfart:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
embattle

I use PR4s on my X-ADV, cost a little bit more but are generally better than alternatives although I would use PR6s if they did a 15 inch because to me the two areas not to scrimp on are tyres and brakes.

Edited by embattle
  • Like 3
Dan German
23 hours ago, Andy131 said:

Motorbikes are very safe.

Motorcyclists on the other hand are no necessarily so, 20 years old, more bravery than skill.

Now 64 a lot less bravery and a darn site less skill.

Same age, same description for me. But I would argue that any loss of skill has been at least partially made up for by an increase in common sense.

As to @Gringo’s question, I have not used Pirelli Angels myself, but I have sold a fair few sets to sport-touring bike owners, and those who have reported back have had no complaints. I read a lot of tire reviews (for professional reasons), and I have not run across any negative press for the Angels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
skorpion

This time of year the road surface gets a greasy surface, this gives a not secure feeling on the bike, and you can easily find yourself on your backside if you ride like you would in summer.

In my opinion for what it's worth Michelin Pilot Road 4 are a great all year round tyre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
listener
17 hours ago, Dan German said:

But I would argue that any loss of skill has been at least partially made up for by an increase in common sense.

Yeah, right! :dielaugh:

(Not long gone 63yo and still struggling to act my age rather than my shoe size. :lol:)

• Haha 5
Taileron
On 05/03/2024 at 07:38, Gringo said:

My 2017 750X DCT is about to need boots front and rear. I've been offered a pair of Pirelli Angel's for £195 (fitted to loose wheels). Has anyone used these? I'm not a knee down speed merchant, just an old duffer who poodles the open roads at a sensible (?) pace. I'd appreciate your feedback on these.

I have just put a set of angels on my NC, transformative is an understatement, in a good way. I was considering a rear shock change but with the new tyres I don’t think it’s worth the money. FYI I’m 6 ft 3” ish, 95k loaded with gear, my little one is 45k, Mrs Taileron is 70k. The angels seem to have no issues with pillions. I am comparing them directly to the awful OEM tyres so my view could be a bit rose tinted. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
VinnyB

The previous owner had just fitted a pair of Bridgestone Battlax T32's when I bought it and they've been faultless wet or dry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Rev Ken

And no tyre grips on wet smooth metal. there are a few 'grippy' manhole covers which have a non slip surface with a non metal surface and are (sometimes!) placed on riding lines around bends, but they are few and far between.

• Like 4
Defender
7 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

And no tyre grips on wet smooth metal. there are a few 'grippy' manhole covers which have a non slip surface with a non metal surface and are (sometimes!) placed on riding lines around bends, but they are few and far between.

There is/was a non metallic inspection cover launched a few years ago with a very grippy top surface, I cant remember what it was made from, but it was recycled from something and moulded into the correct shape, it was said to be more durable and less likely to break and had no scrap value, so highly unlikely to be stollen as quite a few were.

• Like 1
embattle

What I really detest is the amount of manhole covers that seem to be in corners rather than on the straight bits of road.

• Like 4
jeremyr62

On the Holyhead side just after the Britannia Bridge there is an expansion joint covering the full width of the road. It’s two strips of polished shiny steel located in a nice very fast bend. It is a 50 limit over the bridge so that is what you supposed to do, but it’s tempting to go a little bit quicker. In the wet it’s always a sphincter clincher but all that happens is the bike shimmies as you go over it as you lose and then regain grip in a fraction of a second. I have seen riders panic as they approach it but no need. 

Edited by jeremyr62
  • Like 2
Slowboy
14 hours ago, embattle said:

What I really detest is the amount of manhole covers that seem to be in corners rather than on the straight bits of road.

Because that’s where they site the cable winches when they’re putting in new or replacement cables. One persons way of making the job easier is another’s way of inspecting the scenery, or getting a bigger laundry bill😎

• Haha 1
Haggard Rider
9 hours ago, Slowboy said:

Because that’s where they site the cable winches when they’re putting in new or replacement cables. One persons way of making the job easier is another’s way of inspecting the scenery, or getting a bigger laundry bill😎

What they've taken to doing round here is resurface the road to get rid of poholes but not raise the manhole cover ('cos it's a pita to do properly, it costs and closes the road) so instead of actual potholes the drop down onto the cover is just as bad and just as jarring - fine for cars of course as the manholes are all on or near the 'command position'.

• Like 1
Haggard Rider

As for Pirelli Angels (back on topic? wth??) - had GTs on my CBF1000 replacing BT023 - what a difference, much better all round.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Gringo

Had them fitted today. Very nice to. Amazing how different a bike feels with new boots on. On the way to get them done I picked up what looked like a horse shoe nail in the rear tyre. Good job it wasn't on the way home. Lucky me.

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
MatBin
On 19/03/2024 at 15:15, Gringo said:

Had them fitted today. Very nice to. Amazing how different a bike feels with new boots on. On the way to get them done I picked up what looked like a horse shoe nail in the rear tyre. Good job it wasn't on the way home. Lucky me.

Oddly when I changed from a worn out to a new Avon on my Sprints the bike felt almost exactly the same, by which I mean it felt really good on either tyre, very odd experience. Usually my bikes felt much better with new boots as you have said.

• Like 2
MPG100

Useful list of tyre options tho surprised nobody mentioned 'the elephant in the room' tyre noise.... 

Tegraman
On 09/03/2024 at 21:15, embattle said:

Some nations don't bury all the services in the road. Silly people, think of the traffic chaos and road rage fun they're missing.