Radiator - screw missing?

Resali

Resali

Hello knowledgeable people :D

For my birthday yesterday (yeay me :cheers:) I was given a new radiator guard for my NC750S. In preparation for the fitting, I noticed that the radiator is secured with one bolt on the left of the bike, but there does not seem to be one on the right. Surely there should be a bolt on both sides? Pictures below. 

Does anyone know what kind of bolt I need and where to get it from?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

xZCU7Xz.jpeg

1DuLIfS.jpeg

listener
46 minutes ago, Resali said:

Surely there should be a bolt on both sides?

No, that's normal.

If you check the (bolt-less) right side mount you'll find that the radiator's rubber bushing sits over a tubular projection on the bracket.

The bolt on the left side is effectively trapping the right bushing in place.

If you feel you need to, the nut/bolt pair are the same as the one that is there - 10mm x 30-40mm (measure the existing bolt to be sure).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Tegraman

Manufacturing discrepancies and expansion/contraction might stress the radiator if both sides were bolted. If one side is secure, but still free to "float" slightly, no stressing can occur.

Edited by Tegraman
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
listener
17 minutes ago, Tegraman said:

Manufacturing discrepancies and expansion/contraction might stress the radiator if both sides were bolted. If one side is secure, but still free to "float" slightly, no stressing can occur.

I think that's what the rubber bushings are for.

They're through holes in the radiator lugs and act like shock absorbers, allowing some free play.

Resali
34 minutes ago, listener said:

No, that's normal.

If you check the (bolt-less) right side mount you'll find that the radiator's rubber bushing sits over a tubular projection on the bracket.

The bolt on the left side is effectively trapping the right bushing in place.

If you feel you need to, the nut/bolt pair are the same as the one that is there - 10mm x 30-40mm (measure the existing bolt to be sure).

Thanks for your reply. I’m glad I checked now. :-)

• Like 1