Advice on brake pads please

PhilT

PhilT

Just wondered if people are still using this forum

I had a quick look and could see no posts in this section more recent than December 2023

I was hoping to get some advice on which brake pads to get mine are a bit thin and I've got my MOT coming up and this is the first time I've had to change them as it had new ones it when I got it 2nd hand

Most of my riding takes place in and around the Sheffield, South Yorshire Area, and NE Derbyshire...Yes I go through Matlock but generally like to avoid it at weekends

I generally avoid Motorway riding

Too many current makes and types to compare for me

So would anyone be willing to offer me some advice please?

• Like 1
PhilT

sorry  this post is in the wrong section

no idea how to find the right section

and I have no idea how to move this or delete it and repost it

I  just dinnae get on wi these here computers

PhilT

I got a notification that Trev reacted to my Post

but I don't know how to find it

Egg on Leggs

Popular brand pads tend to be much of a muchness.

Sintered will give a hard, immediate feel, organic tend to be softer initially but are kinder to the discs.

Empty_Ten

EBC HH are my pad of choice.  I’ve tried various Brembo ones as well but found the EBC near identical in performance but at a better price.

Theyre a sintered pad but I managed to get over 50,000 miles on some stock discs having used sintered for most of those miles (at least 40,000+).  Stock disc for my NC is still going well having currently had 28,000 ish miles from the EBC HH.

Andy m

Anything you like so long as the brand is recognised, it has the wear/dust groove down the middle and the supplier is reputable.

Sintered/organic/with added zing and bzazz for a minty freshness, it's all just marketing @#$%^&s. We don't even bother with that in the commercial side, you buy a genuine part and get the lowest price based on how many you sign up for. Some fleets believe other manufacturers blurb and want certain linings, others measure data and typically don't care.

Knock-off Golfren that falls off the backing will ruin your day though.

Andy

In the Chris Moss Youtube 20,000 mile review of the NC he says that fitting EBC HH pads improved the braking. 

• Thanks 1
RAS

Most of my riding takes place in and around the Sheffield, South Yorshire Area, and NE Derbyshire...Yes I go through Matlock but generally like to avoid it at weekends

I generally avoid Motorway riding…….

ME TOO PhilT , tend to put 50 mile radius from Chesterfield but I get some great riding and loads of biking events and I def leave motorways and even trunk roads to Lorrie’s, if I can find a B Road route to somewhere I’d prefer  that any day over busier roads … 

• Like 2
steelhorseuk

I always use EBC HH pads myself from either SBS or WEMOTO.

At least you know they are always the genuine article from those online dealers and will not let you down when you really need your brakes to work.. 

• 2 weeks later...
Steve Case

EBC sintered HH for me. Did try organic but I'm heavy on the brakes and went through a set in a couple of months.

If your light on the brakes then organic will be kinder on the disks.

skorpion

As standard the front brake pads are sintered, Honda know best, EBC HH are as good if not better than OEM.

• Like 1
FurstyFerret

EBC HH also, currently running EBC Semi-sintered Touring and, IMO, they're shite.