New NC750X DCT '24 model needs cam tensioner replacement.

dimis

dimis

Hallo, i do have a fairly new NC 750X DCT '24 model which has only 1.500 km. I liked the bike from the begining and i think that it suits me perfectly. It runs very well and i did the first service at 980 km with Honda oem oil and filters. I could say a lot of good things about it but i in this forum owners are already  familiar with everything. The only bad i had to get it out of my chest is that i noticed when the bike is hot after an hours ride there is a knocking sound at idle. Seem like tapet sound........I went to the dealer and after they listen to it they suggest that we have to change the cam tensioner and adjust the valve clearence in warranty, no cost for me, just to make sure that we have no real problem as there were reports of faulty tensioners. They are not sure if this will stop the sound but just to make sertain there is no faulty component.  I know that this can happen in every bike and thats why warranty's are for but it sure makes you a kind of furstrated. How common is that issue and does your bikes have kind of this tapping-metal sound only when hot ? Should i follow the dealers recommentasions ? Thank you.436771463_3377123439257863_3648951747080

Edited by dimis
stever1

Dimis

where abouts are you ?
if in the Uk, I would reject the bike. 
incidentally, what screen is on the bike ?

Gringo

Fairly sure I've not heard about any problems with cam chain tensioners on this model. As @stever1 says, if inUK, reject the bike.

dimis

I am in Greece and i own the bike for 3 months now. There is no option on rejecting the bike. I do not know what is valid in U.K. The options that i do have are either leaving the bike as it is and see what will happen in the future, if something really happens or change the cam tensioner and adjust the valve cleaaence if needed and go on. Saying that i do not think that the cam tensioner replacement and adjusting is such a big thing to be done though it shouldn't be happening so soon. My question is if your bikes behave the same or not. Do you have tappet knocking sound or similar when hot and not when at cold start ? I do have a Givi  D1192ST and does a fabulus job on keeping air away from me. 

21 hours ago, dimis said:

.......I went to the dealer and after they listen to it they suggest that we have to change the cam tensioner and adjust the valve clearence in warranty, no cost for me, just to make sure that we have no real problem as there were reports of faulty tensioners. They are not sure if this will stop the sound but just to make sertain there is no faulty component.  I know that this can happen in every bike and thats why warranty's are for but it sure makes you a kind of furstrated. How common is that issue and does your bikes have kind of this tapping-metal sound only when hot ? Should i follow the dealers recommentasions ? Thank you.

If it the dealer replaces the tensioner under warranty at no cost to you I would just let them do it.

• Like 3
dimis

I'll try to load a video from my engine sound that i took today after a ride. While drivining nothing seems to be wrong and wearing my helmet is as good as my car. What else except noice ticking-knocking a bud tensioner should give ? The video is on you tube 

dimis
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, EdG said:

If it the dealer replaces the tensioner under warranty at no cost to you I would just let them do it.

Yes i do not have to pay for anything, the bike is under warranty, but the thing that they are not sure if the sounds are normal and if they go away isn't reasuring at all. Listen to the video i up load and tell me your opinion. Does yours sound the same ?

Edited by dimis
Jamesc

For comparison purposes...

I 

dimis
59 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

For comparison purposes...

I 

I think mine is quieter than this one !!

• Haha 1
Andy m

I've seen a video where the CCT blade/spring housing was cracked.

Given the only thing that the dealer has to remove except the valve cover and CCT itself is the radiator, I'd tell them to get on with it if it's free.

Andy

• Like 2
dimis
27 minutes ago, Andy m said:

I've seen a video where the CCT blade/spring housing was cracked.

Given the only thing that the dealer has to remove except the valve cover and CCT itself is the radiator, I'd tell them to get on with it if it's free.

Andy

Even if they are not sure if something is wrong ?

Steve Case

Get the work done but keep in mind the engine is prone to clatter and the exhausts 'rings' a fair bit due to the very tight bends on the header.

dimis
23 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

Get the work done but keep in mind the engine is prone to clatter and the exhausts 'rings' a fair bit due to the very tight bends on the header.

I know it's very difficult to diagnose from a video, but how do you think it sounds ? Should i pospone the dealers solution for a month or two just to see how it goes ? My warranty expires in two years time.

poldark

If you were to postpone and something happened to the bike mechanically it could then get difficult for you perhaps, as you'd refused to have the recommended work carried out.

If you have some confidence in the dealers mechanics then it seems sensible to let them do the work, provided it has no cost to you.  Be sure to feedback to them immediately if, after the work, the bike is no better.

• Like 2
dimis
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, poldark said:

If you were to postpone and something happened to the bike mechanically it could then get difficult for you perhaps, as you'd refused to have the recommended work carried out.

If you have some confidence in the dealers mechanics then it seems sensible to let them do the work, provided it has no cost to you.  Be sure to feedback to them immediately if, after the work, the bike is no better.

Hi, the truth is that i do not know how skilfull they are but in their workshop the do have a lot of work with some big expensive bikes. The thing that the recommented work is relatively easy though you must know what you are doing, when i am thinking with no imotion my instinct tells me to let them proceed to. I was satisfied when they offered the solution without any hesitation and no excuses under warranty. The dealer immidiatly ordered the new tensioner from the main importer as he did not had it in stock and i am waiting for their notification to set an appointment. The negative although it was honest that they are not sure if there is a problem and the so called fix will have any bennefit. O.K. if there is no gain from it sure i will know that there is no real problem and that's just the engine's function. In my video which i believe is clear in sound nobody said if it sounds normal or not. I know that you do not want the risk of saying something wrong but compared to your bikes, do they sound noisy when hot and not at cold start ups ?  I have no other NC near me to compare thats why i am asking your opinion. Maybe we are trying to fix something that isn't broken on a bike that is only three months old with 1.500 km.That's why the hesitation.

Edited by dimis
Grumpy old man

Mine is a manual and sounds exactly the same pulling the clutch in quietens it a little but you don't have that option on the Dct.

I very wise and experienced biker/ mechanic ( who very sadly is no longer with us) said the NC sounds like two skeletons making love in a biscuit tin.

I find it quite embarrassing when  I'm around other bikes and have to start it up because of the rattling engine but Hey! That's the NC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Jamesc

If it was my bike I would let them get on with it. If they mess it up they will need to re do it at their cost, and deciding not to do it means they may use that against you later (as commented above)

I remember both of my NCs were not quiet, but I ride a Himalayan now so it's all relative!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Andy m
12 hours ago, dimis said:

Even if they are not sure if something is wrong ?

No one can know until it is either taken apart or fails completely. They certainly believe it's worth a look and that they can probably claim it back from Honda or they wouldn't offer.

How can it turn out?

1. They fix it.

2. The new one is exactly the same, works but is a bit noisy. Run if for a year then sell it back to the same dealer. They lose all claims that there is any reason to reduce the value.

3. They stuff up the repair, it fails a week later. Their fault, they fix it or replace it.

I don't trust dealers mechanics to put air in tyres properly, but in this case there is a system and you should play it because the dealer has already conceded something.

Andy

• Like 7
baldric
7 hours ago, Jamesc said:

If it was my bike I would let them get on with it. If they mess it up they will need to re do it at their cost, and deciding not to do it means they may use that against you later (as commented above)

Plus one to that, and to @Andy m 's contribution. It looks to me to be a win/win for you if you take their advice on the fix. If you don't, it might not be so good later.

• Like 3
dimis
Posted (edited)

Gentlemen i think that i will follow the recommendation of the dealer although i am not convised of the outcome and that the most of you suggest and it seems logical to do. I bought this bike new for not to have any kind of trouble and you understand that this was kind of dissapointment for me. Except this the bike runs great and it suits my needs perfectly for a daily commuter and a Sunday ride at the beach with my wife, you know Greece in summer time has great places to go and get wet !! So today a big YES i would have bought it again if i had to make a choice for a new bike. As said above this kind of work, adjusting valve clearence if needed is part of the maintenace job that came a little early but o.k. The tensioner is the only extra work but i hope everything goes well. I will wait for their appointment notification and of course i will report the outcome to you. Just saying that i am glad to be a member on this forum and i love U.K. I've lived in London at Norfolk Square for two years studing when i was young and the memories are great !!   

Edited by dimis
  • Like 9
Steve Case
On 21/04/2024 at 19:55, dimis said:

I know it's very difficult to diagnose from a video, but how do you think it sounds ? Should i pospone the dealers solution for a month or two just to see how it goes ? My warranty expires in two years time.

Nah go ahead and get the work done, if they find something then its fixed.

On the flip side my old triumph 955 is way louder but its just mileage and wear.

Rev Ken

Let us know the result!

dimis
Posted (edited)
On 23/04/2024 at 18:30, Rev Ken said:

Let us know the result!

Yes, i will do that. In Greece on 5th of May for this year it's Easter. So many departments will be on holidays i think that there will be a delay. But sure i will report whenever i have news.

Edited by dimis
  • Thanks 1
Xactly

I'll be interested to find out the answer; to me it doesn't sound like a camchain tensioner noise but recordings are often misleading. My NC was quiet apart from clutch rattle - some manual ones do, some don't but it doesn't seem to make much difference to longevity or reliability. As has been said, the noise disappears when clutch is lifted and the bearing on which it runs is loaded. On a DCT I suppose there could be clutch rattle too, but of course that would be there all the time.