Mirror Adjustment

Andy131

Andy131

Adjusting the mirrors at the handlebar ends is a piece of cake, lift up the rubber boot, slacken the locknut and adjust.  Tighten locknut and refit the boot.

So how do you go about adjusting the other end?

I have to pull mine in to get down the side of the house, then adjust them on the first strait bit of road - while stationary officer.

So riding home from work the darn things gradually moved back in , I ended up readjusting the RH mirror at least 4 times in 40 miles.

The top rubber doesn't look like it just pulls down, is there a nut/locknut that can be accessed to stiffen it up?

Don't want to be replacing them every 6 months - no warranty as they are "lightly scuffed" from going down the side of the house.

Good news / bad news, checked the mileage yesterday, done over 3,000 miles since I bought the bike new in October :hyper:, so being the honest type I rang Bennets to say that the 4,000 mile estimate for annual mileage is going to be a little light, how much to up the estimate to 6,000 miles   ..........   £139 for the remaining 7 months :mad:

• Sigh 1
  • Sad 1
Eddie17

I found you got to get the right tension on the mirror lock nuts ..still you get there in the end .     Very interesting what you did being honest with Bennets and mileage estimate.What if for some reason you hardly used the bike and  after 5 months and it only had 300 miles on the clock.Would we be able to downgrade the mileage estimate !!!!! 

Edited by Eddie17
  • Like 1
Andy m

No sewer-ant actually knows my bikes odometer readings, they don't ask. With the exception of the new one they couldn't tell if I did 5000 last year and 2 this year or vice-versa.

Don't assume low miles helps though. There seems to be a sweet spot at 2-3000 a year where they think you get enough practice but don't ride in every rush hour.

I would never "remember" to tell them if I was getting close, honesty does not pay.

Andy

• Like 1
Xactly

It gets even sillier with more than one bike on the same policy. Whatever I put down - they ask - the odds are that I'll do more miles than stated on one and less on the other. It knocks the golden mileage band argument on the head if I ride the total specified mileage...

Crazy - I just say the same every year.

• Like 1

It's not too difficult to check any bikes mileage - it's on the MOT which is available online to anyone.

Caveat being no MOT for the first three years or on older bikes that are MOT exempt.

Really don't want to give the insurance company yet another way to avoid paying up.

Eddie17 - can't find any locknuts for the ball and socket arrangement at the top of the mirror stem