new tyres after 10,020 miles.. battleax bt023

Guest sidemp

After the bike has done 10,020 miles the tyres badly needed changing..

4,500 by gunshot and 5,520 by me.. should have had them changed before now and the transformation in the bike is amazing..

I was considering the pilot road 3 but the guy pointed out it was coming into spring / summer and while the pr3 is excellent in the wet he felt it might be wasted putting it on now and always recommended it as a winter tyre..

After chatting about the myriad of tyre choices out there, all with their positives / negatives / pricing I went for what had served me so well since October, the battlax bt023..

It truly has been like getting on a different bike.. even having to take it steady for a while, the ride, handling, noise and general enjoyability has increased beyond my expectations.. I won't leave it so long or try and eke out a few more miles next time..

He pointed out pad wear on the front and thought the rear sprocket looked worn..

I expected new brake pads but not the sprockets..

Any advice or feed back

From those with better knowledge and experience would be appreciated...

I've booked it in for a service at 9.30 in the morning.. many thanks..

steelhorseuk

Simon, Can't advise you on the tyres but I can tell you my sprockets were changed at 2000 miles. This wasnt part of the recall.

It was changed because the chain had developed tight spots!! 2000 miles. couldnt believe it! 

Rocker66

I don't know where the guy is coming from about the PR3 being a winter tyre. I have used both 023s and PR3s in all types of weather and whilst the 023 is a very good tyre to my mind the PR3 out performs it in all conditions

Edited by Rocker66
Rev Ken

I don't know where the guy is coming from about the PR3 being a winter tyre. I have used both 023s and PR3s in all types of weather and whilst the 023 is a very good tyre to my mind the PR3 out performs it in all conditions

My experience also! 

Cheers chaps, Should have stuck with what was in my head when I went in..

The pr3 will have to wait till next time unless there's something newer and better out by then.. its going to be an expensive week if need chain / sprockets tomorrow..!!

That's pretty good going I hope I get that out of my 23s. why don't you stick with the same ones?

• Like 1

I'd done some reading and the majority of opinion seems to be like Rockers and Rev Ken - the pilot road 3 appears to be the benchmark sports touring tyre for this type of bike..

I really can't complain at all about the bt023 but I'd like to try the PR3 to see / feel the difference, especially in wet conditions.. it must be very good because of all the positive reviews and comments..!!

Rocker66

Sue changed the PR3s on her CBF1000 @ 6000 miles but this was a bit early as we were going on holiday. They would have gone to 7. Should last longer on the NC

Rev Ken

7,500 miles with another 1000 miles if I was to run them near to their limit on a CBF1000, so should do considerably more on NC700s! Amazing that Rocker and I agree yet again! (Can't go on...)

Rocker66

7,500 miles with another 1000 miles if I was to run them near to their limit on a CBF1000, so should do considerably more on NC700s! Amazing that Rocker and I agree yet again! (Can't go on...)

Well I did prefer BSA Goldies to Vincents :) :)