steamed up speedo anyone?

Mike5100

Mike5100

I have searched several forums and can't find anything about this as a problem.  If no-one else has got this as an issue, then I think I will get mine replaced under warranty even though there is the chew of having the book record that the mileage was zero'd.

(my speedo steams up in the rain - partcularly once the sun gets on it.  I spent some time drying it out with a powerful hair dryer but it came back the next time I wnt out in the damp)

Mike

Guest chasp

Happened to me once came out of a cool garage on a warm day and within a short distance the speedo had steamed up. Only done this once

next day it had gone.

I think that the likely place for water ingress is where the cables enter the bottom of the unit. There is a rubber boot that covers the connector perhaps it needs re-seating.

The easiest was to get the moisture out would be to take the instrument pod off the bike, remove the back of the instrument pod and then put it in the airing cupboard or somewhere similar for it to dry out properly.

When reconnecting it to the bike you only have to reset the clock.

It should only take about 20 minutes to get the instrument pod off the bike. 

Mines is the same there is misting on the speedo will check the rubber boot over the weekend .

This is the first I've heard of this. I must admit I haven't experienced this on my bike.

Mine did mist up very slightly a couple of days ago.  Bike had been sat in the cold and when the sun got on it just a bit was noticeable but it soon cleared.  I get the same on my car on the inside of the perspex headlights when I wash it.....cold water on warm(er) plastic but that goes away quickly as well.

I don't think it automatically means you have a leak somewhere.....could be just temperature variations causing the water vapour (which will always be there) to condense then evaoprate again as it warms up?

Guest Flighttime

the demo bike I rode, and my 700s both did it. Mine has been fine over the summer, but during the winter on a very cold damp day it appeared to condensate slightly. I think it was worse with the hot radiator warming things up when I parked it. 5 Min in the sun and it would be gone..

As tedium says, I dion't have a leak. Just tempature diff causing condensation in the wright conditions.

Edited by Flighttime
Mike5100

problem is mine doesn't clear

Mike

Guest chasp

Just a thought mine misted up today could this be the lighting in the speedo ccreating some heat. I know it can be turned down from

level 1 to 3. Any ideas anyone.

Guest Flighttime

problem is mine doesn't clear

Mike

I'd go for a warranty replacment.

I thought about taking mine back but the problem went away over summer. Will see how it goes this winter..

If they won't do it then I'd open it up and dry it out. It seams they must have some moisture/humidity inside when they make them so in some conditions they consensate. Even a small descrete breather hole somewhere should stop it. trouble is finding the right spot so moisture cant get in?  Just a thought?

Edited by Flighttime
Guest EasyTiger

A similar problem in the Guzzi world is sometimes solved by drilling a hole or holes at the bottom of the speedo cluster.

I don't know if it works by letting moisture drain out or by equalising the temperature inside and out.

I hadn't expected it on a UJM - the Versys never did anything like that!

My Harley Street Bob suffered from the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...
Mike5100

Here's an update - and once again full marks to Tillstons in Stockton.  They sent my pictures of the steamed up instruments to Honda who were insisting on me taking the bike to the dealer for inspection.  When we pointed out that it only does it on sunny but damp days they accepted the pics and there's a new instrument cluster waiting for me at Tillstons to be fitted during the 8000 service.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update - and once again full marks to Tillstons in Stockton.  They sent my pictures of the steamed up instruments to Honda who were insisting on me taking the bike to the dealer for inspection.  When we pointed out that it only does it on sunny but damp days they accepted the pics and there's a new instrument cluster waiting for me at Tillstons to be fitted during the 8000 service.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Does yours cover all of the screen, mines just about 3/4" high x 3" long and is in the centre. When I first noticed it I thought I had scratched the screen when washing. It looks like someone has smeared there finger down the inside of the screen before they put it together.

Mike5100

Not all of the screen.  But mine is more towards the edges

Mike

Guest divetrucker

Mike

Hi Mike,

Does yours cover all of the screen, mines just about 3/4" high x 3" long and is in the centre. When I first noticed it I thought I had scratched the screen when washing. It looks like someone has smeared there finger down the inside of the screen before they put it together.

Mine is exactly the same as Mike's. Spotted it yesterday for the first time and also thought someone had scratched the lens 'til I looked closer.

Take it back to the dealer and get the mechanic to look at it, not sure if its covered though

• 10 months later...
Mike5100

update  - my new 750X does it too.  And when I mentioned it to the service manager he said he'd noticed it on most of their demo bikes that were stood in a line.  He says no-one has complained though so he has never bothered.  (By the way this must be a first - a dealer volunteering that he has spotted a fault before customers complain  :D )

So- I am glad I never got the speedo switched in my 700 because it's likely the replacement would have been the same.

Hey it's not a huge deal but it's very un-Honda like.

Mike

Guest Flighttime

Mine was replaced by Honda. I wasn't going to bother but after a couple bad days during last winter when it wouldn't clear my dealer ordered a replacement. The replacement was fine all winter & had no issues this summer.

Mike5100

Mine was replaced by Honda. I wasn't going to bother but after a couple bad days during last winter when it wouldn't clear my dealer ordered a replacement. The replacement was fine all winter & had no issues this summer.

presumably the odometer has to reset to zero does it?

Mike

Guest jonty03

Just to add my voice to the list - yep, my speedo display box also steams up occasionally. It only happens in certain atmospheric conditions and disappears within 24hrs.  :getlost:

Mike5100

As someone says higher up.  It's as if someone during assembly has wiped their thumb or finger over the inside of the glass and this attracts the moisture.  probably all it needed (during assembly) was a wipe with a microfibre cloth,

Mike