Steam or smoke or WHAT?

Guest jorgegofio

Guest jorgegofio

Hello everyone!

Ok, I've looked up related threads but can't seem to find any. So here I go. 

I don't usually ride in the wet but it has been raining alot in Madrid lately so eventually couldn't avoid it. 

In the wet, when I stop at traffic lights, I start to get ALOTof of steam from the rad. I suppose this is due to the rainwater boiling off but it doesn't smell very healthy. What I think it could be is that it is not only water, but also the muck and sh*t that gets thrown onto it from the front wheel. And all that sh*t burning off is what makes the steam and smoke. 

No steam or smoke in the dry. 

Does this make sense? 

Thanks in advance for your comments. 

steelhorseuk

Hola Jorge,

Check the rad cap is secure if you suspect the smell of coolant but I agree with Stu. Mine steams a bit in the wet too! 

I think it's the rain and crap running onto the exhaust directly under the rad as I was concerned when I first saw it!

Mine does the same at times in the wet so nothing to be alarmed about

Rocker66

As the others have said this is quite normal

I was going to add my tuppence worth, but you've all beaten me to it......lol. :)

Guest NCXrookie

A fenda extenda does help some of the rubbish thrown up by the front wheel getting onto the rad and minimising the steam effect.   Still looking at a cover though.

arkwright55

Smoke, steam and smell? That's very dangerous, stop riding it immediately. Nah, only joking, carry on riding

Guest Monkeyuk

i had the same thing and as im a beginer i asked a Honda guy he said it was most definitely steam coming of the rad and the bad smell was all the dead bugs cooking so keep it clean and the smell should go away but if its hot and it starts to rain you will get steam

Edited by Monkeyuk
ste7ios

It's normal, nothing to worry about. The radiator is like a sponge and it traps a lot of water and road crap. The only thing it worries me is the accumulated crap that decreases the performance of the radiator in a level. It's not so easy to clean it...

• 1 month later...
Guest fresh air

Smoke, steam and smell? That's very dangerous, stop riding it immediately. Nah, only joking, carry on riding

Reminds me of the very first 2 wheeler I ever had - a 2nd hand Vespa Sportique.  I knew nothing of maintenance, and one day I was riding along when something didn't sound/feel right.  I pulled over and started twisting the throttle when suddenly the rusty cable jammed the throttle fully open.   Of course I panicked !  I seem to remember  turning off the ignition which had no effect, so thinking the engine was going to explode I laid it on its side and RAN.

I just watched from about 10 yards away for about half a minute, then luckily it freed itself somehow.   All the passing car drivers must have been in hysterics.

Back to the NC 700 ... ... I guess Honda made the bike with a totally useless front mudguard for style purposes so an extension on the front and a hugger on the back should be an option every dealer should put to a new buyer, after all, I should imagine the people in the workshop would prefer a clean bike to work on also.

bluemak

Hello everyone!

I don't usually ride in the wet but it has been raining alot in Madrid lately so eventually couldn't avoid it. 

In the wet, when I stop at traffic lights, I start to get ALOTof of steam from the rad. I suppose this is due to the rainwater boiling off but it doesn't smell very healthy. What I think it could be is that it is not only water, but also the muck and sh*t that gets thrown onto it from the front wheel. And all that sh*t burning off is what makes the steam and smoke. 

Does this make sense? 

I'm in Scotland so we get a fair amount of rain - it will be falling on hot parts of the bike all the time - but you will only notice the steam when you are stopped. 

So nothing to worry about - but perhaps you can help me Jorge - I was riding the other day and was dazzled by a strange bright light in the sky - any ideas what that might be? 

• Like 1
Rocker66

Hello everyone!

Does this make sense? 

I'm in Scotland so we get a fair amount of rain - it will be falling on hot parts of the bike all the time - but you will only notice the steam when you are stopped. 

So nothing to worry about - but perhaps you can help me Jorge - I was riding the other day and was dazzled by a strange bright light in the sky - any ideas what that might be? 

Whatever it is could you please arrange for it to still be there in 4 weeks time especially over the Fort William area

Guest jorgegofio

Hello everyone!

Does this make sense? 

Whatever it is could you please arrange for it to still be there in 4 weeks time especially over the Fort William area

Today in Madrid the weather is not that good actually. Has not rained but I have spotted 2 or 3 clouds in the sky, and the temperature is only 15ºC.

:drool:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest czbird

I'm having this issue too with my Integra.

But it's not the steam that concerns me, it's the smell that's coming from within the front cover (where the radiator is located), because it smells like a rubber was burning.

Otherwise, she's behaving just fine, and smells only whe she gets wet :-)

Derek_Mac

Jan,

it's probably assorted rubbish in the spray boiling/burning off the catalytic convertor.

Guest czbird

It could be that the catalyst converter gets sprayed with some dirt in rainy weather, that would then burn off it.

I'd like to support this hypothesis by an experiment which would involve me sniffing the converter more thoroughly from a short distance :-)

Alas, I'm not sure where exactly it is located on Integra :ermm:  

Derek_Mac

It'll be in the same place that it is on the X and S.

Right in front of the cylinders, at the top end of the exhaust system.

It's the thing that you can see in the gap in the ugly grey plastic just behind the front wheel on an X or an S.