Service Interval

Guest simon

Guest simon

Sorry about this question - my brain hurts today.

I bought my bike in May 2012 and had the running-in service done in June 2012. I've since covered 3,000 miles and need to book the annual service. I intend to book it for June 2013 (12 months after the last oil change). Is this correct, or should it be 12 months after the bike was purchased?

poldark

12 months since last oil change.

Up to you but I'd ask them for price for annual oil change only, rather than 1st service (8k miles) in case you get "bill shock" not confirming beforehand.

Now I am confused! I thought that the bike needs to be serviced at either 12 months after first ownership or 8k miles, which ever comes first. So I thought the bike would need a full annual service in May in Simon's case. My way of thinking is wrong I assume?

poldark

Well I could well be wrong, but if it's an annual oil change then surely it is a year from the last one.  

With just 3k miles we're talking a preventative oil change rather than the full service.  I guess age is a factor and not mileage, so for me I'd have the full service at the end of next year even if mileage is just 6k.

The schedule is after 600 miles, then at 8,000 miles or 12 months - the time of the first service isn't included in the scheduling. So strictly speaking it should be May.

However as long as you've stuck reasonably closely to the schedule then Honda won't behave unfairly. All manufacturers apply an allowance to the service intervals when they are looking at warranty cases. If you went a few weeks or a few hundred km over then they will see that you've pretty much respected the schedule and they wouldn't have any grounds to contest a warranty claim. May or June and only 3,000 miles will be fine - but a month late and 15,000 miles would be a different story of course.

Rocker66

Personally for the sake of 4 weeks I would have it done in May to save any possible argument later on. According to the book it should be a service not just an oil change

Guest simon

Looks like i've sparked a lively debate; thank you for all the thoughts. I'm sitting at home now with the service book in front of me and it's not clear, but I interpret it as 'from date of purchase' - so like TC3 and CBR45 suggest, the timing goes: purchase; service at 1 month or 600 miles; then at 12 months or 8k miles; then at 24 months or 16k.

Will speak to the dealer tomorrow and try to confirm.

arkwright55

Well, I'm booking mine for 12 months since 600 mile service, so there