Slipping clutch

Guest kentishtiger

Guest kentishtiger

I bought the NC700S in December and it has done less than a thousand miles. Tonight on the way to work, the clutch started slipping, giving me no drive to the wheels. Luckily the Honda Care, has AA recovery.

Has anyone had problems like this before? If so, is it easy to fix by myself, I'm new to bikes by the way so my knowledge is not that great.

I take it as its only 5 months old it should be covered by the warranty.

steelhorseuk

Hi Lee, you have been a bit unlucky there with such a new bike mate.

The bike is definitely covered under Honda warranty and can easily be rectified by your authorised Honda agent. 

I take it the bike was recovered directly to the supplier?

Mark

That sounds bad. You'll have to keep us posted on what the problem is please.

Guest kentishtiger

Bike getting picked up this afternoon to take it to 21st Moto. Won't be looked at until next Friday. They said it should be under warranty, but said not to rule out me burning the clutch out. As I live in a village and use the bike in rural areas and the motorway I'm hardly ever on the clutch. I suppose they have to say that in order to protect themselves. Will let you know what the problem was, and how the customer service was with 21st Moto.

Rocker66

I hope you get sorted OK. Did you buy it from them? It should definitely be a warranty job unless they can prove 100% it was their fault which certainly doesn't sound likely. It will be interesting not only to hear the cause but also to discover how you are treated

Guest kentishtiger

Yes I did get it from them, though got the first service done down at Kent Motorcycles. Will keep you informed on their customer service.

Guest kentishtiger

Update:

It transpires that the outer clutch plate had come loose. This in turn caused the plate to spin and create heat, thus burning out the clutch. Jake the service manager at 21st Moto, rang today to tell me that he's been on to Honda UK, and they have authorised the repair under warranty. The spares should arrive shortly and I should be back on the road sometime next week.

• Like 1
Rocker66

Hi glad that you have got it sorted. Did 21st Moto offer you a loan bike?

Defender

Sounds like it was defective from new to burn the clutch out that quickly, glad it's being sorted out under warranty as it should be, with no hassle.

Guest kentishtiger

Got the bike back yesterday. New clutch fitted £268, that did not include labour costs looking at the invoice. It was all covered under warranty, no reason for the clutch burning out, looks like a Friday afternoon job at the factory.

Anyway got a couple of days off, now going out for a ride. :D

Rocker66

Are you saying that they actually charged you the £268 or just that the invoice said that is what it would have cost?

steelhorseuk

Glad its sorted.  It will always be warranty for something like this.  Never let the dealer tell you otherwise on a bike this age!   

If you ever get the run around from the Honda dealer make a call direct to Honda UK (make sure you have registered your machine with them) and they will soon speak to the dealer!!

All the best.

Mark