To run in or not to run in

Guest d_shuttleworth

Guest d_shuttleworth

Hi I would like to pick the brains of all the knowledgeable members prior to collecting my new NC. Do I need to run in the new engine, and if I do what would you recommend and what did you do?

Guest motorboy

Yes for sure, not like the old days just keep it easy for a few hundred miles but remember your breaking in more than the engine brakes need to set in   tires need to scrub in and you need to get the feel of the bike before you go balls to the wall.....

bikerbampi

Be guided by the guy that hands over the bike, if he doesn't say ask.  :thumbsup:

Rocker66

I would recommend a steady build up of revs and not keeping at steady revs for any length of time such as on a motorway. Also do not let the engine labour by riding in too higher gear at low speeds. You will feel when the engine feels happier at higher revs

As Motoboy quite correctly says you are also running in tyres and brakes

• Like 1

The manual recommends:

"During the first 500 km (300 miles) of running,

follow these guidelines to ensure your

motorcycle’s future reliability and performance.

● Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid

acceleration.

● Avoid hard braking and rapid down-shifts.

● Ride conservatively."

It wasn't too hard to follow that advice and they've probably tested a few of the 3 million or so bikes they make each year. Given the way the fuel economy changed from first tank to now I guess the engines must actually be pretty "tight" to start with - I got about 20km per litre to start raising to about 28 on the third or fourth tank.

Edited by chris
Rev Ken

As it says - this is a controversial method and against everything previously recommended for 'running in' engines, even the most modern. It MAY work, but if you had a problem early on you might find it difficult to persuade your dealer that you were following manufacturers guide lines! 

Follow Rocker66's advice which covers Honda's instructions and is a well tested method over many many years! You'll find your bike will initially loosen up quite rapidly and then gradually improve over several thousand miles. Even with modern manufacturing methods some bikes are 'tighter' than others but properly run in you'll have no problems and have a great bike.

Guest dentonlad

The advice given to me was "Don't ride it like you stole it....".  I rode my first 300 miles like it was my module 2 test.  As the others have said, just ride sensibly, it will soon loosen up. I've just passed 1200 miles after 5 weeks and there's a world of difference from when I first got it.  The only thing that hasn't changed is the grin I get whenever I ride this wonderful bike.

Slowboy

The advice given to me was "Don't ride it like you stole it....".  I rode my first 300 miles like it was my module 2 test.  As the others have said, just ride sensibly, it will soon loosen up. I've just passed 1200 miles after 5 weeks and there's a world of difference from when I first got it.  The only thing that hasn't changed is the grin I get whenever I ride this wonderful bike.

Seems like the same approach I took. I've got just over 4000 miles on it now and it just gets better. I suspect this is one of those motors that won't be fully loosened up until its got over 10k on it, a bit like my Triumph triple from a few years ago.

Guest Afroboy70

This is my first new bike and I "think" it's been run in correctly. Out of interest, what are the tell tale signs to watch out for if the bike hasnt been run in correctly?

This is my first new bike and I "think" it's been run in correctly. Out of interest, what are the tell tale signs to watch out for if the bike hasnt been run in correctly?

In my opinion nothing. Todays engines can take a good battering, imagine all those that have bought ex demo bikes that have been thrashed

Edited by tc3
Guest Black Knight

In my opinion nothing. Todays engines can take a good battering, imagine all those that have bought ex demo bikes that have been thrashed

+ 1  And the engine on the NC can't really be thrashed anyway (6250 Redline/Governor)