Kinked links

Guest motorboy

steelhorseuk

NC definately requires a new chain and sprocket set in under 500 miles of use! Honda mechanic at my dealer confirmed it today so its back in the workshop next-week.

This is the second set in 3000 miles!

While I was there another NC (X version) turned up complaining about a chain problem.

I am seriously looking to PX the bike before waranty expires now.

E-Mail of general dissatisfaction going off to Honda tonight for what its worth.

Mark

There is something seriously wrong here! Even if you neglect your chain, as I do, :cry:  it should last far more than 3,000 miles, let alone 500. It must be faulty manufacture as I don't believe Honda would make such a serious mistake of fitting a chain size incapable of taking the (low) power of the NC700 range! It looks as if Honda might have to do some sort of recall if your experience is 'typical' for bikes fitted with your particular manufacturers chain.
Definitely with Rev Ken here, I use a Tutoro, (other makes of chain oiler are available) fitted since the new chain was fitted under warranty. Having done 4200 miles on it, it still does not require adjustment, and yes I have checked it properly. I do clean the chain and in the area of e front sprocket now and again, but problems with the chain must either be a manufacturing fault or ( am I allowed to say this) possibly poor maintenance. The chain spec is well up to the weight and power of the bike.
Hello Brian (slowboy) How can it be poor maintenance? The brand new chain and sprocket set was fitted just 500 miles ago, lubed and waxed, adjusted to perfection by the Honda mechanic. Then lubed again after every journey inside that 500 miles and not used in bad weather for said miles.  Even the mechanic that checked it on Friday was scratching his head!!! Its going to be going off to Honda for examination. In the meantime my bike will be getting another Honda approved chain/sprocket kit replacement and this will keep happening until the bike runs off warranty and I can then upgrade chain type at my expense or the bike gets PX'd.
Your point is well made, and clearly not poor maintenance then. But all I can say is my chain was replaced under warranty (just the standard replacement) and the new one has been fine over 4200 miles without requiring adjustment and with no faults. Either the dealer is fitting very poor quality chains, which in my experience of Honda is highly unlikely. I hope the new one sorts it out for you, so you can get out and enjoy your bike.

Thank you Brian, I do hope so... :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ronecc

Trade your bike in because it might require a new chain or two? You will be able to buy quite a few chains with the £1000 you will probably loose when p/x ing.

steelhorseuk

Trade your bike in because it might require a new chain or two? You will be able to buy quite a few chains with the £1000 you will probably loose when p/x ing.

I don't have time to keep poncing about with this problem mate. Honda have there chance to sort it, I cannot be fairer than that but if it is not rectified the bike is no good to me hence the PX.

Guest ronecc

Hope I did not sound sarcastic. I meant that you could get a chain that does not come from Honda, and fit that. If you like the bike then there would be no point loosing money for the sake of the price of a descent chain. Now, if you don't like the bike, then that is good excuse to give to the wife, for swapping it. Hope you are happy at the end of the day.

Guest Crusty

Hmm, despite meticulous maintenance my chain is now showing signs of frozen links and tight spots. Is this something the dealer would sort out under warranty? My bike had just done 7000 miles.

Guest motorboy

Hmm, despite meticulous maintenance my chain is now showing signs of frozen links and tight spots. Is this something the dealer would sort out under warranty? My bike had just done 7000 miles.

Just like mine,they might warranty it but it is a wear item,and if they do you will get the same crap chain spring a few pounds get a good chain and don't look back that's what I did..

steelhorseuk

Hi Crusty, I appreciate Roberts opinion on this but get your chain sorted under warranty mate.

If we let them get away with it by paying for our own chains/ sprocket sets then Honda get away with it!

I have had no end of trouble with mine and to be honest I am really fed up with it now.

I want Honda to sort it out before I write about these experiences to MCN and other press.

Some might think I am being over fussy but this is our safety concerning me and if Honda are trying to save money at the expense of that we should boycott the brand.

Mark

Guest Crusty

Hi Crusty, I appreciate Roberts opinion on this but get your chain sorted under warranty mate.

If we let them get away with it by paying for our own chains/ sprocket sets then Honda get away with it!

I have had no end of trouble with mine and to be honest I am really fed up with it now.

I want Honda to sort it out before I write about these experiences to MCN and other press.

Some might think I am being over fussy but this is our safety concerning me and if Honda are trying to save money at the expense of that we should boycott the brand.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll give them a call.