Kinked links

Guest motorboy

Guest motorboy

Bike has 6500 miles not recall chain, DID on bike,clean and lube every 500 miles and I found several links frozen solid this morning and I mean frozen couldn't move them with pliers.This is a new one for me many many bikes with O ring chains rusted nasty looking but never frozen up.Just ordered new EK (my favorite) chain tonight...any one else seen this on a NC...

Guest NCXrookie

The worst thing about bikes is looking after the chain.  Winter has not been kind to my chain despite trying to look after it.  Looking at new Forza scooter when it becomes available in UK. V belt transmission.  No mess, no fiddling about, replace after about 20k miles.

Guest motorboy

The worst thing about bikes is looking after the chain.  Winter has not been kind to my chain despite trying to look after it.  Looking at new Forza scooter when it becomes available in UK. V belt transmission.  No mess, no fiddling about, replace after about 20k miles.

Unlike a few, I'm a big fan of large scooters having had a 400 Burgman and a 600 Silverwing. I think they have their place and yes CVT no chain is great..

steelhorseuk

Hi Motorboy

Check out the other threads about chains on this forum.

I have had loads of problems with my drive chain also despite not being one of the recalled type.

It had tight spots within first 1000 miles and was replaced under warranty along with both sprockets by local dealer, no quibble!

Then it went back less than 500 miles later as it had stretched beyond the recomended tolerance. Honda dealer adjusted and lubed.

Within another 500 miles it is now showing signs of tight spots again! Same as you it is lubed and cared for!

Along with other quality issues I am now considering changing the bike before Honda warranty expires and I have to start paying for this stuff every 500 miles! 

Mark

Guest motorboy

Hi Motorboy

I have had loads of problems with my drive chain also despite not being one of the recalled type.

It had tight spots within first 1000 miles and was replaced under warranty along with both sprockets by local dealer, no quibble!

Then it went back less than 500 miles later as it had stretched beyond the recomended tolerance. Honda dealer adjusted and lubed.

Within another 500 miles it is now showing signs of tight spots again! Same as you it is lubed and cared for!

Along with other quality issues I am now considering changing the bike before Honda warranty expires and I have to start paying for this stuff every 500 miles! 

Mark

That's what I wanted to hear.They might have warrantied it but I'd get the same old cheap ass chain  and I wanted the problem solved the first time.Now i'am glad I ordered a new better chain..  Thanks..

steelhorseuk

Hey Robert, could you let me know what chain you ordered?

Mark

Guest NCXrookie

Hi Motorboy

Mark

That's what I wanted to hear.They might have warrantied it but I'd get the same old cheap ass chain  and I wanted the problem solved the first time.Now i'am glad I ordered a new better chain..  Thanks..

Not being an expert, I would not know if there is a problem with the chain.  I look at it, lube it and check the slackness but that is about it.  Might get it checked out next time I am passing the dealer. 

Guest motorboy

Hi Motorboy

Mark

Not being an expert, I would not know if there is a problem with the chain.  I look at it, lube it and check the slackness but that is about it.  Might get it checked out next time I am passing the dealer. 

No need for a dealer, after you clean it just grab it and try to move each link at the O ring  up and down it All should be able to move

Guest motorboy

After I get the new chain,I will break the old one at the frozen link I'm betting the machine that puts the chains together didn't put grease in that one link..

steelhorseuk

Hey Robert, could you let me know what chain you ordered?

Mark

EK SRO-5

Cheers Bud!

Guest motorboy

well this is one time I wish could take a picture of what I found, when I broke the old chain NO GREASE none the pins were very scored and blue from heat this OEM DID is toast at 6,500 miles.  FYI is you buy a EK SRO-5 replacement. chain it does not come with a rivet master link you must buy one even though EK'S site shows the SRO-5 comes with one...GENTLEMAN CHECK YOUR CHAINS.........

steelhorseuk

Cheers Robert.

Mines back to the dealer for another new chain next Monday under warranty!!!! This is second new chain in less than 3000 miles. 

I checked it yesterday during the routine cleaning and it is stretched beyond my ability to adjust it within tolerance. I can get it tight at one section, within range but when I turn to check tolerance half wheel turn the chain is very slack. 

These chains Honda are using are not fit for purpose. I honestly believe that the bike has too much low torque for the standard chain and it cannot cope with the stress.

I checked out several other bikes at the weekend. None of them had such a small drive chain as the NC.  I will have the same chat with my dealer and see what can be done.

I am guessing my riding style is partly the problem but if the bike has the torque I am going to use it! :D

Regards

Edited by Smudger
Guest motorboy

It's not so much the size 520 as a good one wil take over 100+hp it's the quality of the chain Honda uses.You need to talk to your dealer about taking the money he is getting from Honda for the new replacement chain and putting up maybe a little more and get a good one, problem solved for at lease 20,000 miles

steelhorseuk

Sound idea.

It's not so much the size 520 as a good one wil take over 100+hp it's the quality of the chain Honda uses.You need to talk to your dealer about taking the money he is getting from Honda for the new replacement chain and putting up maybe a little more and get a good one, problem solved for at lease 20,000 miles

Sound logic. I will mention that to them and see what result I get! Ta :D

steelhorseuk

NC definately requires a new chain and sprocket set in under 500 miles of use! Honda mechanic at my dealer confirmed it today so its back in the workshop next-week.

This is the second set in 3000 miles!

While I was there another NC (X version) turned up complaining about a chain problem.

I am seriously looking to PX the bike before waranty expires now.

E-Mail of general dissatisfaction going off to Honda tonight for what its worth.

Mark

Rev Ken

NC definately requires a new chain and sprocket set in under 500 miles of use! Honda mechanic at my dealer confirmed it today so its back in the workshop next-week.

While I was there another NC (X version) turned up complaining about a chain problem.

E-Mail of general dissatisfaction going off to Honda tonight for what its worth.

Mark

There is something seriously wrong here! Even if you neglect your chain, as I do, :cry:  it should last far more than 3,000 miles, let alone 500. It must be faulty manufacture as I don't believe Honda would make such a serious mistake of fitting a chain size incapable of taking the (low) power of the NC700 range! It looks as if Honda might have to do some sort of recall if your experience is 'typical' for bikes fitted with your particular manufacturers chain.

Slowboy

Mark

There is something seriously wrong here! Even if you neglect your chain, as I do, :cry:  it should last far more than 3,000 miles, let alone 500. It must be faulty manufacture as I don't believe Honda would make such a serious mistake of fitting a chain size incapable of taking the (low) power of the NC700 range! It looks as if Honda might have to do some sort of recall if your experience is 'typical' for bikes fitted with your particular manufacturers chain.
Definitely with Rev Ken here, I use a Tutoro, (other makes of chain oiler are available) fitted since the new chain was fitted under warranty. Having done 4200 miles on it, it still does not require adjustment, and yes I have checked it properly. I do clean the chain and in the area of e front sprocket now and again, but problems with the chain must either be a manufacturing fault or ( am I allowed to say this) possibly poor maintenance. The chain spec is well up to the weight and power of the bike.

Inspite of how good Honda generally are, if you're going to change chain and sprockets I personally will be going up a size to a 525 pitch.

A Brit on the USA forum went up a chain size and he stated his bike ran smoother with the new larger chain. The chain on our bike's just looks a bit weedy for what seems a longish chain.

Edited by wozza

But surely DID are a well known and respected chain manufacturer?

steelhorseuk

Mark

Definitely with Rev Ken here, I use a Tutoro, (other makes of chain oiler are available) fitted since the new chain was fitted under warranty. Having done 4200 miles on it, it still does not require adjustment, and yes I have checked it properly. I do clean the chain and in the area of e front sprocket now and again, but problems with the chain must either be a manufacturing fault or ( am I allowed to say this) possibly poor maintenance. The chain spec is well up to the weight and power of the bike.

Hello Brian (slowboy) How can it be poor maintenance? The brand new chain and sprocket set was fitted just 500 miles ago, lubed and waxed, adjusted to perfection by the Honda mechanic. Then lubed again after every journey inside that 500 miles and not used in bad weather for said miles.  Even the mechanic that checked it on Friday was scratching his head!!! Its going to be going off to Honda for examination. In the meantime my bike will be getting another Honda approved chain/sprocket kit replacement and this will keep happening until the bike runs off warranty and I can then upgrade chain type at my expense or the bike gets PX'd.

Slowboy

Mark

Hello Brian (slowboy) How can it be poor maintenance? The brand new chain and sprocket set was fitted just 500 miles ago, lubed and waxed, adjusted to perfection by the Honda mechanic. Then lubed again after every journey inside that 500 miles and not used in bad weather for said miles.  Even the mechanic that checked it on Friday was scratching his head!!! Its going to be going off to Honda for examination. In the meantime my bike will be getting another Honda approved chain/sprocket kit replacement and this will keep happening until the bike runs off warranty and I can then upgrade chain type at my expense or the bike gets PX'd.
Your point is well made, and clearly not poor maintenance then. But all I can say is my chain was replaced under warranty (just the standard replacement) and the new one has been fine over 4200 miles without requiring adjustment and with no faults. Either the dealer is fitting very poor quality chains, which in my experience of Honda is highly unlikely. I hope the new one sorts it out for you, so you can get out and enjoy your bike.
Guest motorboy

First, just like the bad RK's I think some DID's are also bad mine was.Since I put my new chain it feels like I gained a horsepower or two.New chain not as stiff very smooth. 

Guest motorboy

Inspite of how good Honda generally are, if you're going to change chain and sprockets I personally will be going up a size to a 525 pitch.

A Brit on the USA forum went up a chain size and he stated his bike ran smoother with the new larger chain. The chain on our bike's just looks a bit weedy for what seems a longish chain.

In ref to that post on the other NC forum.I read that, there is no reason a 525 would be smoother than a 520 it's only 1/8 inch wider that it.I think his old chain was shot and any new chain would feel better.

In ref to that post on the other NC forum.I read that, there is no reason a 525 would be smoother than a 520 it's only 1/8 inch wider that it.I think his old chain was shot and any new chain would feel better.
That's a very good point, but I will still never the less change up a chain size come chain replacement.