Removing screen 'nuts': how?

Scootabout

Scootabout

Sorry if asked before - I did a search but couldn't find the answer.  I've just tried to remove the screen in order to put it on its higher setting.  I've been following the instructions in the owner's manual.  I've got the screen off. Now I am supposed to 'remove the nuts and the adaptors'.  Well, call me old fashioned, but a nut to me is something that screws onto the end of a bolt.  These look more like some kind of rubber grommet.  I can't see how they either unscrew or pull out.  

Can anyone help?

Derek_Mac

Sorry if asked before - I did a search but couldn't find the answer.  I've just tried to remove the screen in order to put it on its higher setting.  I've been following the instructions in the owner's manual.  I've got the screen off. Now I am supposed to 'remove the nuts and the adaptors'.  Well, call me old fashioned, but a nut to me is something that screws onto the end of a bolt.  These look more like some kind of rubber grommet.  I can't see how they either unscrew or pull out.  

Can anyone help?

I used a pair of long nosed pliers to move the ones on my bike.

They're also called http://www.motopike.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=25_30'>rubber well nuts.

Honda charge about £3 each for them. :shocked:

Edited by Derek_Mac
Steve Blackdog

Push them out the back.  They have a solid ring which prevents them from being pulled through from the front.

Once you get the hang it is very easy.  I just folded in the rubber lip from the front, then pushed with my thumb - I also used the end of the handle of my pliers, but my thumb was just as effective.

When I put them back in (again from the back) I used a bit of spit to help them in.  However if you push them in from the back at an angle, you can pull them in place with the rubber lip.

Once I realised that you pull them out from the back and not the front, everything became a doddle.

Good luck!

Steve

Scootabout

Success! Thanks for the advice, all.  I suspected I'd get more sense on here than through further study of the (minimalist) manual.  However, I'm now a bit embarrassed about my lack of lateral thinking.  

Incidentally, although I took them out from the back, I found they would push back in from the front, assisted by a bit of spit.

Capt Slow

.....  Incidentally, although I took them out from the back, I found they would push back in from the front, assisted by a bit of spit.

thats what I did :D

Glad you're sorted

Edited by Capt Slow
Steve Blackdog

Good old spit, eh!!