Altering position of brake pedal?

tedium

Can it be done? I am currently using my Altberg boots rather than my old Daytonas and the sole is much thicker. Ideally I would like the brake pedal about an inch lower. A search on here suggested it can be done by adjusting the rod that connects the pedal to the cylinder but I've had a look and think it will just boing back to the same position due to the return spring?

Any thoughts?

The brake pedal can be lowered, I asked the dealer to lower mine when they were carrying out the first service.

Made it a lot more comfortable to use.

bikerbampi

Yep the connecting rod adjustment is the way to do it.   :thumbsup:  

scottiedoug

yep..the rod is the adjuster...I altered mine.

Rev Ken

Very simple - just slacken off the locking nuts at either end of the rod  - the only thing to watch is that one of them is a left handed thread. You can then rotate the rod and you'll see the brake pedal move up or down depending on which way you turn it. Then tighten up the locking nuts. It really is simpler than trying to explain it!

• 2 weeks later...

yep had to lower mine due to ankle ache ,  undo the lock screw and turn the piston pin and watch the pedal go up or down , remember to check your brake light switch and adjust to compensate for new positioning , again loosen the locknut and turn the shaft keep testing as you turn till it comes on at the right moment .

• 1 year later...

I've just lowered my brake pedal and gearshifter, thanks for the tips. This should make a huge difference, since the brake in particular is set too high for my long legs and big feet! Lowering the gearshifter should also improve upshiftig too.

Just to clarify, on an NC700:

Brake lever: loosen single lock nut at the bottom of the activation rod, then turn the rod using the hex-head at the top to move the pedal up and down, then tighten the lock nut. If you're lovering the brake lever you may want to loosen off the plastic brake light sensor rod first, as this gets tighter as you lower the brake lever (use the plastic serated nut to do this, a bit aukward to get too). I lowered the brake pedal about an inch, but it might go further.

Gearshifter lever: a lot easier than the brake lever. Loosen both lock nuts at the ends of the connecting rod (as mentioned one end is lefthand threaded!). Turn the connecting rod, raising or lowering the lever to the required position and tighten both nuts. I lowered mine about half an inch or so.

Edited by beep
  • Like 1

how about adjusting to be higher then is?  when standing on footpegs it's too low.

Didn't try this but I imagine you can adjust both upwards too.