Indicator bulb blown already

Scootabout

Scootabout

One of my front indicator bulbs has blown already, after less than 1000 miles. Are they easy to fit? (I'm guessing so.) I'm tempted to diy rather than get it done by a dealer. However, should I get it dome under warranty in case there's an underlying electrical problem, for example?

Derek_Mac

There's one screw which holds the lens on, have a quick look in your manual (page 114).

I don't know about trying to claim under warranty for a bulb, see what your local Halfords charges for one. ;)

I'd call one indicator light bulb blowing bad luck, if the replacement bulb blew fairly quickly then I'd maybe start thinking about an underlying problem.

Indicator bulbs are probably under quite a lot of stress when you consider they have to flash on and off constantly when they're working.

steelhorseuk

Hi Simon. Take it to the dealer mate! No way should you have to pay for a new bulb already.Thats what warranty is for.

All the best....

Mark

Guest billc700s

There are some bulbs on the market aimed more for motorcycles and not cars, all bulbs are not created equal, they have a stronger filament so can stand up to much more vibration and bumps when hot but do cost a little extra, cheap bulbs are just that cheaply made and sold. It is a simple job to change a bulb and as above if it does blow again quickly then see the dealer.

Scootabout

Thanks, all. Before I read all this I'd already dismantled the bulb holder, to see how easy it was - very easy. I'm going to buy a new bulb and replace it myself and, as suggested, go to the dealer if the new one blows quickly. Incidentally, there's a thin rubber seal that at first sight appears to fit onto the plastic indicator lens. I spent a few minutes trying to replace it, before realising it was a lost cause and that all you need to do is seat it inside the groove of the main indicator body. I think you need to leave a gap at the bottom, probably for water (eg condensation) to flow out from.

Rocker66

Hi Simon. Take it to the dealer mate! No way should you have to pay for a new bulb already.Thats what warranty is for.

All the best....

Mark

Sorry but bulbs are NOT a warranty item unless the failure is caused by another fault. However if you bought the bike from a decent dealer they MAY replace it free as a good will gesture

I had to replace an indicator bulb within a couple of hundred miles and I haven't had a problem since. So not to worry, these things occasionally happen.

steelhorseuk

All the best....

Mark

Sorry but bulbs are NOT a warranty item unless the failure is caused by another fault. However if you bought the bike from a decent dealer they MAY replace it free as a good will gesture

Exactly mate! So how do you know ? ? Take to dealer and get it checked at no cost to you! Most dealers will change it because they need to test the circuit.

They will not remove the bulb after testing unless they are a crap dealer.  Jees, the bike didnt even complete 1000 miles yet!

Mark

Rocker66

Any bulb has an indefinite life span. Some can last for years whilst another of the same type and use can blow after a few weeks. I remember many years ago buying a pack of 4 household bulbs. the first one I used blew after about 3 weeks. I replaced it with another from the same pack which lasted many years and was only replaced when we changed over to low energy bulbs. This is the reason they are excluded from warranty claims

Scootabout

The new one hasn't blown yet.  I do have another problem, though - another thread for that  :geek:

Rocker66

The new one hasn't blown yet.  I do have another problem, though - another thread for that  :geek:

Looks like it was just the bulb then. it happens