New vibration has appeared

Scootabout

Scootabout

I went for a long ride on the bike today.  I knew from the outset there was something not quite right.  There was vibration coming from somewhere - engine? Chain?  That I hadn't experienced before.  I wondered if the engine was only firing on one cylinder, so I checked the spark plugs.  Both seemed OK. I then thought it might be the new chain lube I had applied the day before.  I'd cleaned the chain and applied dry lube (Mucoff PTFE).  I bought another can and added some more.  The problem was still there.  The engine was performing OK - maybe or maybe not a tad down on power - but there seemed to be vibes especially in the region of 2500 rpm.  A bit like the classic 6th gear pulsations but in lower gears and at lower revs.  And they seemed to happen even in neutral.  I made it home after 150 miles or so.  I'm taking the bike into the dealer tomorrow for a check.  

Any guesses?  I hope they can sort it, because I'm due to do the National Road Rally at the weekend.  I'll report back in due course.

Guest Old Man

Hi Simon

Have you installed any add-ons like engine bars, luggage or exhaust can? I installed all of the above and had a similar issue.

After I read lots of info on the net I found a post backed-up in the NC service manual that states the engine bolts should be tightened in a certain order.

I loosened all the engine bolts started the and revved the engine then torqued the bolts in the correct order. I also loosened the exhaust and Givi luggage rack, repositioned and tightened.

This seemed to do the trick. 

Will be interested to see what the dealer says.

Old Man

cazmal

Is that the engine mounting bolts? And where can I find the correct tightening procedure please?

Guest Old Man

Yes the engine mounting bolts. If you are a full member you can download from the forum. Your dealer should also have a copy.

Guest motorboy

Being it just stated back track,what did you do or not do to it last time you rode, Maybe just a bad tank of gas whats the last time you filled up and just for giggles check your battery make sure the wires are tight 

Scootabout

Old Man: I have installed a Givi luggage rack and box, but that didn't involve touching the engine mounting bolts. Interestingly (maybe) I think yesterday was the first time since fitting these that I have ridden with the rack but without the box. I wonder if that could possibly be it? Bizarre, if so, isn't it? The dealer has not been able to find anything wrong. Before I saw these replies I had a rather unsatisfactory discussion which led to their suggesting I call Honda customer services, which I've just done. They asked if the dealer had referred to the Honda tech team. I'm about the call back to find out.

Clearly, if I fit the box and the vibes disappear, that's the cause. I'm not sure how I'd eliminate it, though. Maybe untightening then retightening, but I don't understand why that would work??

Scootabout

Motorboy: yes, I've checked the battery terminals. Petrol / gas: I filled up mid-ride yesterday and nothing changed.

Guest Old Man

Old Man: I have installed a Givi luggage rack and box, but that didn't involve touching the engine mounting bolts. Interestingly (maybe) I think yesterday was the first time since fitting these that I have ridden with the rack but without the box. I wonder if that could possibly be it? Bizarre, if so, isn't it? The dealer has not been able to find anything wrong. Before I saw these replies I had a rather unsatisfactory discussion which led to their suggesting I call Honda customer services, which I've just done. They asked if the dealer had referred to the Honda tech team. I'm about the call back to find out.

Clearly, if I fit the box and the vibes disappear, that's the cause. I'm not sure how I'd eliminate it, though. Maybe untightening then retightening, but I don't understand why that would work??

The engine bolts were removed to install my Givi engine bars.  My Givi rack attaches behind the rear foot peg plate and to the rear frame under the grab rails - this could introduce new vibrations. 

You may want to test ride a demo 700x to see the difference.  

Scootabout

This might turn out to be an extravagance, but I've asked the dealer to re-do the 600 mile service. This is a different dealer, not the one that did the first service. Reasons:

- the bike's there at the moment, it's 45 mins ride away, and I want the bike sorted for Saturday as I plan to do the National Road Rally then.

- the first service was done v quickly (30 mins labour charged for), implying a question mark over whether they checked all the bolts. The dealer also did not state what oil had been put in and did not change the sump plug.

If this does not cure the problem, at least I'll have peace of mind (or more than before) that the service has been done properly. My next step will be to fit the box and see if that cures the problem. If it does, I'll know it's something to do with the arms/rack and will start fiddling with the bolts.

I'll report back! Thanks for the tips so far.

Scootabout

The bike is much improved since the re-service.  There's less vibration, and seems to be more power (oddly?!).  They told me they had checked all bolts and a couple were not tight.  They also re-torqued the engine mounting bolts. They thought the not-the-tank lid wasn't quite fitting snugly, and added a neoprene spacer.  So I'm a lot happier than I was.  However, I still believe - I know - that the bike has more/different vibration compared with when I first bought it.  I'm now suspecting the mounting of the box and/or the chain.  The vibes reduce when I fit the box.  So I suspect that it is somehow having a dampening effect.  I also notice that one type of vibe I get without the box but not with it is something like the sort that appears in 6th below about 3k rpm.  That, IMO, is almost certainly the chain vibrating.  Since one of the things that coincided with the emergence of this issue was my cleaning the chain and applying dry lube to it, I now suspect the lube type could be a contributory factor.  Could a heavier lube - oil or wax, say - maybe damp down the chain vibrations better than dry lube, I wonder? 

I'm doing the "sunrise" version of the National Road Rally tonight/tomorrow morning.  I'll fit the box for that, then resume the process of elimination another day when I have time. In the meantime any further thoughts / links welcome.