Radiator Grill Cover fitting problem

Guest Shakey

Guest Shakey

Just fitted a Bewolf radiator grill but came across a problem. After unscrewing the bolt on the top nearside of the radiator to allow the grill bracket to slide on, the bolt will no longer tighten. It's the one with the captive bolt at the other side which I think is rubberised in some way.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do. I'm sure I have read somewhere on the Forum about this problem, but can't find it.

Any replies would be appreciated.

steelhorseuk

I fitted the R&G Guard, same as Rancid and you have to replace the existing bolt on that side as you need a few extra mm's of thread!

Mark

Guest Shakey

Thanks guys for confirming that I hadn't stripped the thread. Did you have to take off the bracket and hacksaw off the captive nut or is there another way around this ??

I fitted the Bruudt - it was a bit difficult starting the threads but with a bit of pushing & squeezing it went ok.

Sounds like you just need to nip down to the hardware store and buy a bolt of the same diameter but a few mm longer.

Guest Shakey

Cheers to everyone. Managed to get it to tighten after taking out both bolts, and then manoeuvring the standard bolt into position by tilting the radiator a little to reach the correct thread. What should have taken 5 minutes turned out longer. However, rad cover now in place and looking good !! Enjoy riding this weekend folks. Weather looking great for it.

Cheers

Guest The Mad Jock

I had exactly the same problem with the Beowulf Ian, a bit of cursing and a lucky break later I too got it started in the thread the same way as you.  As you say it should have taken 5 minutes, was a mission in the end!

I fitted the R&G it comes with a NASTY longer bolt. The nasty being you only have to look at it and it rusts, come on R&G for the price you charge for the radiator cover you could at least supply a stainless or even treated bolt.

beep

Sounds like R&G have started supplying the correct bolt (but a poor quality one). When I fitted my R&G (last year) the bolt was too short, so I swapped the washers for thinner ones which just did the trick.

Edited by beep
glencoeman

Fitted the R&G today. It took about 15 minutes and I did replace the cheapo bolt supplied with a better one of the same length.

• 1 year later...

I tried to fit Beowulf radiator guard to my NC700XA and could not get nut on new bolt they supplied for right side.

will try again but could not get original bolt on left side to screw back in properly without Beowulf guard.

tied on with wire at the moment. not sure what problem is -bolt seems to screw  in so far but then meets stop as if starting to possibly cross thread so reluctant to force it any further. don't see how a longer bolt would solve anything. what is the solution?

Regards,Eric