baffle removal

Guest xjraus

Guest xjraus

Has anyone removed baffles from stock exhaust to give it more umph noise i am bored with the sewing machine sound from the engine i know there are aftermarket exhaust available and  have looked on forum

Guest Black Knight

If you shine a torch down the end of the exhaust pipe, you can see a metal restricter plate inside.  Use an extra long drill bit 5/8" (around 15-16mm) and drill through this plate. It will improve the performance of the bike and give a better sound.

There's an article on the US Forum about this.

Guest motorboy

If you shine a torch down the end of the exhaust pipe, you can see a metal restricter plate inside.  Use an extra long drill bit 5/8" (around 15-16mm) and drill through this plate. It will improve the performance of the bike and give a better sound.

I guess I'm a slow learner, but over the years I have mod many a stock exhaust with the same result sounds like crap so I would leave the NC muffler alone and if you want sound go with a after market slip on.And as far as the US site well let me just say take every thing you read on that site with a grain of salt. I can't deal with them and I live there..

Guest Black Knight

I guess I'm a slow learner, but over the years I have mod many a stock exhaust with the same result sounds like crap so I would leave the NC muffler alone and if you want sound go with a after market slip on.And as far as the US site well let me just say take every thing you read on that site with a grain of salt. I can't deal with them and I live there..

+I..............I agree with you about the US forum site.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Todd L.

+2.................I also agree with your comment on the shady US forum site. Found lots of concflicting and unreliable information there and you either accept the limited mindset of the mods or you're an infidel for having a different opinion. Everything here seems peaceful and respectful by comparison.

Guest motorboy

+2.................I also agree with your comment on the shady US forum site. Found lots of concflicting and unreliable information there and you either accept the limited mindset of the mods or you're an infidel for having a different opinion. Everything here seems peaceful and respectful by comparison.

That's what happen to me ,tried to explain something that was said dangerous and they came down hard to many self proclaimed  experts so let them be and yes that's why I'm here.I have been on many forums over the years and I must say this is the nicest bunch of guys I have ever run across....  

Guest motorboy

That's what happen to me ,tried to explain something that was said dangerous and they came down hard to many self proclaimed  experts so let them be and yes that's why I'm here.I have been on many forums over the years and I must say this is the nicest bunch of guys I have ever run across....  

It got so bad today I had the administrator take me off the site and delete all my posts.Could not stand it any longer...

Rev Ken

In this country some on this forum - including me - suggest taking out baffles is not only illegal but gives more excuses for further restrictions on bikers. Having said that your country is less densely populated and even with all the baffles out it is unlikely it would be louder than an HD! 

On this forum we can 'agree to disagree' without getting too personal or aggressive - better than another NC forum I used to be a member of.

Edited by Rev Ken

I attempted to beef up the sound on a GS850 I had in the 80's. Took my trusty Black and Decker to my shiny new motad exhaust. I made it sound like a duck farting in long grass... don't do it! :D

• Like 1

I once (1960's) took a hammer and chisel to my Lambretta's silencer in order to get that sporty 2 stroke sound, then had to hastily repair it with Gun Gum when I realised that its MOT test was imminent.

I've not done anything like that since, buying new exhausts for my bikes instead and usually being disappointed with them.

Guest johnakay

I like the sewing machine sound nice and quiet just so that I can hear my brain fart :cry:

I can't stand loud exhaust maybe its some thing to do with me being tone deaf?

• 1 month later...

Everyone has their view of things, but slamming the Amercan site as a whole is not so cool.  Many of the people on here are there too.  Sure - some are ass hats, but so are some here IMHO.

I would agree about not modifing the stock exhaust. If at some point you need to reverse the process it could prove very expensive since stock silencers don't come cheep. As for the NC being loud I can't see it. We have an Honda Akropovic on ours and with the Legal baffle in place it is a little better than stock but we run it without the baffle and it's about right and certainly no louder than say a legal Ducati. The Bike does not seem to be able to be loud, maybe it's the low revs or just the design. I have an after market legal can on my VFR12 and I can not run it with the baffle removed it's just too loud and draws unwanted attention.

Anyway each to their own!

Guest motorboy

Everyone has their view of things, but slamming the Amercan site as a whole is not so cool.  Many of the people on here are there too.  Sure - some are ass hats, but so are some here IMHO.

I think if you hang around here for a while you will see the difference  and I don't think any one was slamming the site just that some don't like it I being one of those and I sold my NC and I'm still here..

• 7 years later...

On topic quick question 

my 2017 NC750X exhaust has a dent on the side on black painted section. I was going to cover with a metal heat resistant badge. Is it ok to drill 2 small fixing holes here so I can pop rivet the badge on?

thanks