Bigger rear tyre

Guest Rock Monster

Guest Rock Monster

Hi,

Can anyone please explain some of the pro's and con's with going with a bigger rear tyre. My NC originally came with a Bridgestone BT023 160/60ZR17 rear tyre.  I had to urgently fit a new tyre but the particular dealer i was at only had a 160/70ZR17.

Except from looking a bit different with the bigger side wall it actually rides a bit softer and i also do not notice any instability in corners etc.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

bikerbampi

Don't think there is a problem for the bike to ride and handle with the higher profile tyre, however, don't know what your insurance company will do or say if the worst happened.  :no:

Guest Crusty

Don't think there is a problem for the bike to ride and handle with the higher profile tyre, however, don't know what your insurance company will do or say if the worst happened. :no:

Quite. In the event of an accident a beady eyed insurance inspector my well have a field day, especially as the tyre sizes are written on the swing arm.

Guest billc700s

Your speedo will be out and the bike sitting higher at the rear may cause you to slide forward more on the seat, if you do not have a rear hugger fitted you should be OK to use it for a while but also being in South Africa you may find it is your only option until the dealers get a stock of the correct size's.

Guest motorboy

Hi,

Can anyone please explain some of the pro's and con's with going with a bigger rear tyre. My NC originally came with a Bridgestone BT023 160/60ZR17 rear tyre.  I had to urgently fit a new tyre but the particular dealer i was at only had a 160/70ZR17.

Except from looking a bit different with the bigger side wall it actually rides a bit softer and i also do not notice any instability in corners etc.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Not bigger just taller..

Rev Ken

In this country it would be a MOT failure (the inspection all bikes and cars have to have annually when tree years old.)