Power Loss On X DCT

Guest lancer58

Guest lancer58

Apologies if this is repetition, I seem to remember something similar from a while back but anyway here goes. Out for a ride yesterday and experienced sudden and total loss of power. No throttle response and engine and oil warning lights came on but NOT the green N light. Display reading bike stuck in gear 6 although pushable so it wasn't.  Tried to turn on ignition again (with some trepidation) and got some lights up but again no neutral light and absolutely no response from ignition switch. Turning the key produced a clicking sound as though from a solenoid but nothing else. Completely dead. 

Called AA and patrol spent sometime fiddling with absolutely no result so AA trailer called and bike loaded, stored overnight and delivered to dealer this morning.

Called dealer to check they had received it and told bike started first time with no prob. Obviously they are running checks to try and find out what happened.

By the way, spent four hours at the roadside but at least the weather was good.

Guest billc700s

Did the AA man disconnect the battery and deliver it with the battery unconnected, if yes when the battery was re-connected the dealer may have had to reset the ECU when re-connected and cured any  fault in the main ECU or the DCT PCM. The other case on the site was a DCT PCM  swap and a sensor on the gearbox changed to fix the fault I belive. The clicking noise you hear when switching on the ignition is most likely to be the fuel solenoid which needs to come on to charge the lines with fuel before you use the starter

edgey999

Hi

After having purchased a DCT I became increasingly disillusioned about the idea of having to maintain a meticulous, and expensive Honda service schedule to protect the warranty given the complexity and expense if it ever went wrong. I also became frustrated at its desire to change gear at times I did not want it to (middle of islands and corners in particular).

I have since disposed of it and are now running a "normal" bike which I know has bullet proof reliability and I control. Bliss :D  :D  :D

Guest lancer58

Did the AA man disconnect the battery and deliver it with the battery unconnected, if yes when the battery was re-connected the dealer may have had to reset the ECU when re-connected and cured any  fault in the main ECU or the DCT PCM. The other case on the site was a DCT PCM  swap and a sensor on the gearbox changed to fix the fault I belive. The clicking noise you hear when switching on the ignition is most likely to be the fuel solenoid which needs to come on to charge the lines with fuel before you use the starter

Thanks for this Bill. The AA guy tested the battery but didn't disconnect. My prob may well be the other case you referred to.

Guest EasyTiger

Hi

After having purchased a DCT I became increasingly disillusioned about the idea of having to maintain a meticulous, and expensive Honda service schedule to protect the warranty given the complexity and expense if it ever went wrong. I also became frustrated at its desire to change gear at times I did not want it to (middle of islands and corners in particular).

I have since disposed of it and are now running a "normal" bike which I know has bullet proof reliability and I control. Bliss :D  :D  :D

Meticulous service schedule? 8,000 mile intervals - twice the distance of my "normal" bike...Spark Plugs at 32,000...

Expensive? I've just paid £145 for an 8,000 mile service, with valve adjustment.

No issues on mine in the first 9,000 miles. They haven't been around long enough to know if there will be problems after two years are up.

Riding in S holds the gears longer and prevents any surprise shifts if this is a worry.

Or you can downshift with the paddle as you reach the bend, and accelerate through.

So it's quite possible to remain in control - in fact you could even ride it in manual with hand or foot change.

A pity the bike didn't do it for you..

Edited by EasyTiger
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Considering I've had nothing but excellent behaviour from my DCTX I suspect the bike you had might not have been the problem..... :console: