changing chain and sprocket

ddazzler64
Go to solution Solved by ddazzler64,

ddazzler64

A friend will do my chain replacement and he is going to change the sprocket too. He want to change the sizes to a "better" one (a bigger one) as he thinks the 125 one is too small. He doesn't see any problems in doing this but i am unsure whether this will affect the bike in a negative way, reduce millage etc... Should i stop him or let him do this?  Your thoughts people :)

Guest mikmcd

From previous discussions I think some folk have done this, but I'd probably just go for the original size. I know that the NC chain looks a bit feeble when you compare it to other bikes, but considering the low power output it should be perfectly adequate. After all these years Honda are unlikely to get it wrong?

A heavier chain and sprocket would only add weight. Also might be an issue if the bike is still under warranty.

I'd be interested to see what others think.

Cheers

Mike

If I was going to keep my bike, then when it came to change chain and sprockets I would go up a size. There's been a number of people on here who have reported problems with chain stretch and tight spots. So personally I would go up a size, but that's only my personal opinion which counts for nowt anyone. If your friend wants to go up a size then let him.

Edited by wozza
  • Like 1

If you do this make sure the sprockets are thicker ones too. Otherwise the chain will try to pivot around the tooth of the sprocket with torque reaction. It could cause the thicker chain to fail quicker than a thinner chain!

We all know how bad a snapped chain can be.....

ddazzler64

A heavier chain and sprocket would only add weight. Also might be an issue if the bike is still under warranty.

Mike, the bike is still under warranty still but the guy will change the sprocket to a corresponding one (same shape as the original in the middle) with the chain.  It will only add a few extra pounds so i think that should not be a problem.  I guess i should tell the honda garage it has been done too, incase there is some servicing issues later on.

I am going to have a Scottoiler fitted too so i hope to go further than 8000 miles on the next chain.

tx

Daren

I Appreciate to comments as other peoples' experiences are always important when changing things

lipsee

Mike, the bike is still under warranty still but the guy will change the sprocket to a corresponding one (same shape as the original in the middle) with the chain.  It will only add a few extra pounds so i think that should not be a problem.  I guess i should tell the honda garage it has been done too, incase there is some servicing issues later on.

I am going to have a Scottoiler fitted too so i hope to go further than 8000 miles on the next chain.

tx

Daren

I Appreciate to comments as other peoples' experiences are always important when changing things

Actually I do,nt think the Scottoiler will fit,,,I am considering a rossicromo chaincase,what do you think???      La société - Rossocromo France

Guest mikmcd

The Scottoiler V-System won't work on the NC - there is nowhere to take the vacuum feed. The E-System will, and I was very tempted to fit one. It is a fabulous bit of kit, easy enough to fit, but very expensive. Also unless you keep altering the settings it will be constantly oiling, and once the chain is fully oiled there's nowhere else for it to go, except to fling off onto swingarm, wheel etc. Certainly I've found this with Scottoilers on previous bikes.

Instead I've fitted a Tutoro oiler - cheap, simple technology and easy to fit. Once the chain is well oiled just switch it off, or don't bother switching it on for a couple of hundred miles.

Don't know how worthwhile the chain case might be - there are still exposed sections of chain to pick up all the crud that mixes with the lube to form a grinding paste. With most of the chain hidden you might not pick up on this so quickly.

ddazzler64

fair point Mike, the guy who fits the Scottoiler said he'll do it for £80 - not sure which one he was thinking of, although he said he would put the larger container behind the number plate  :logik: he seems a decent bloke and does a lot of work for the local bike club and no one has a bad word against him. 

Phil, I would pick one of these up if i get the money, although i need to get the rad cover and fender extender for the front wheel first.  Did get a Vario Touring Motorcycle Screen to ttry and reduce the wind at speed: i think it is better... :hyper:

Here's to winning enough money to ruin my life :beers:

• 2 months later...
  • Solution
ddazzler64

Hello people

decided not to "upgrade" the chain but replaced it like for like. The garage (not exactly a honda garage) and he did it all for cost plus an hour's money.  The Scottoiler couldn't be fitted (no vacuum as noted) and the electronic version is too expensive for the moment so looking at the other options. I'll search the forum for oilers .

Guest zoeff50

Try the Loobman oiler, costs are less than GBP 30. I paid around EUR 30 incl. shipment to The Netherlands. The thing works perfect, it is manually push button operated. I lubricate the chain 1x or 2x every fuel stop, in wet conditions lub more often. I use Stihl Synth Plus chainsaw lub oil, a relative light oil. In use for one year and the chain is in perfect condition.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88619960/ChainOiler.jpg

cheers, Fred.