PGM-FI malfunction light

tc3

Mine has started to come on when riding. Has anyone got a clue what it could be? This is the yellow engine symbol that goes out normally once bike is started

Derek_Mac

Also you could have a look at the service manual, starting at page 4-11.

Guest Crusty

I'd get straight down the dealers mate. A friend of mine had this come up on his CBR600, which turned out to be a duff engine ECU. An expensive fix, but it was under warranty.

You can short the DLC connector (inside battery box) so that you can read the blinks produced by the light.

But seeing as your bike is under warranty, as said, get it down to the dealer pdq.

Thanks guys I just went out and it took a good 25 mins this time for the light to come on and did the blink count. 86 blinks which according to the service manual is related to the combination meter (fancy name for the LCD console)

I am lucky enough that my annual service is booked in for Monday and they have said they will look at the bike. Will tell them I counted 86 blinks but they will have that info in the memory of some unit or other I am sure. I was thinking I may have messed something up when I put the front indies on or wired up the sat nav yesterday but i did not touch any of thos things but will double check the areas i did work in

I was hoping to go for a ride at the weekend. In view of what the error code says i do not know if it is ok to ride it or not. Any thoughts?

Edited by tc3
Guest Crusty

Hmmmm, tricky one that mate. If it were my bike, I'd probably err on the side of caution and wait until it's been looked at. Let's just hope that, if they do find a problem, Honda don't try to wriggle out if it because of your electrical mods.....

Hmmmm, tricky one that mate. If it were my bike, I'd probably err on the side of caution and wait until it's been looked at. Let's just hope that, if they do find a problem, Honda don't try to wriggle out if it because of your electrical mods.....

Would not surprise me if they tried. I have changed the indicators at the front but did not touch the display unit and yesterday I wired up a sat nav but once again went no where near the places that should be checked according to manual. I am going to dismantle the front and double check my work...

well i dismantled the front and checked all plugs just to be sure they were connected and found no damaged wiring. I made a discovery though which I am hoping is the cause though i doubt it. I found a rubber grommet on garage floor the other day with no idea where it came from so put it to one side. On putting the front back together i realised it was a piece that held the headlight stay assembly in place and one side was missing. This could have caused some vibration but seeing as all connections were solid i highly doubt it is the reason for the MIL to come on. Will try tomorrow and see......

Tony, you changed the indicators relay, right? It could be the cause

Jose the error code points to the display unit or its wiring. If it was the relay this would have before. Sometimes it happens 10 mins into a ride and sometimes half an hour so would not make sense being the relay as indicators always in use

Ok, let's see what the dealers says then. I have read over there some histories about installing LEDs causing weird electronic errors, I gave them no credit, but just remember them after reading your issue

Guest Crusty

Don't read too much into this, but, I am an airfield electrician at an airport. When we get electrical joints breaking down in the airfield lighting (therefore high resistance), this can cause back-indication faults to be displayed on the air traffic control systems. Maybe a bit far fetched, but it seems to be similar to the problems you're having with regards to the indicator resistors.

Just a thought. :)

Edited by Crusty

Thing is I did 200 miles after the indies were switched and had no issues. On the first ride after wiring the sat nav and adding an in line switch the light came on. So logic tells me it is no coincidence and I have disconnected the switch I added and tightened up the + battery terminal which was not fully tight (thanks Stuart for that idea) even though I have not touched the battery in 10 months. Off out to give it another go and see, I guess Jose and Ian make good points as you never know how one electrical fault might affect something else. 

Yay .... did a 1 hour ride and then a second shorter ride and no more MIL illuminating :)

Now put an optimate plug on the zumo lead so can disconnect when I not using it. Likely cause was either the switch or a possible slightly loose battery terminal. Not touched the battery in a long time so maybe the positive terminal screw worked loose by vibration. 

Tis a big relief as I hate when things like that happen especially when it is user error....

Thanks for all the ideas 

Edited by tc3

Mangler! :D

I was no different when I had the SV650s :)

Guest motorboy

That the direction I was going, and did you use LED, LCD or what - cause and effect- if it was OK before you changed things start there

All sorted now, see post above.

That the direction I was going, and did you use LED, LCD or what - cause and effect- if it was OK before you changed things start there

Robert to answer your question I did change to LED indicators and also added a replacement relay to correct the flash rate. This has had no ill effects on anything 

Guy on the US forum had the light come on too. Told him to check battery terminal which he found a lil loose and since tightening it up all is well. So I guess that is the first thing to check if anyone else gets the light coming on....

• 1 year later...

Hi, anyone know how to translate the number of blinks?   Mine has started coming on too when riding.

Hi, anyone know how to translate the number of blinks?   Mine has started coming on too when riding.

Too many blinks stated in the manual to type it all in. Tell me  the number of blinks instead and will look that up.