Warranty/Bolt help needed

Guest theweirdfoton

Guest theweirdfoton

Have just put the oem topbox bracket onto the bike <including cutting into the bike  :cry: > and when I have just gone to bolt the left hand part of the bracket <i.e. the pillion handgrip> on the two bolts will not bolt in. They are perfectly lined up so no question of just missing it or anything but they literally will not go in. One goes about half way and won't budge an inch and the other just spins in the hole. With my very limited knowledge i'd swear the holes had threaded but this is bizarre as I have literally unbolted them, put the part on and tried to bolt them back on.

My two questions are...has anyone had any experience of this with possible theories/solutions as to how it happened? I firmly believe it's not myself being too bullish or anything as I take my time and will never be too heavy handed with anything. Second question is if I take it to my local Honda dealership will this kind of thing be covered by my warranty <bike is only six months old> or is it ultimately going to cost me?

Thank you in advance, it's a real same as I have sprayed the bracket black to fully match the bike and it looks awesome and blends really well to the bike.

Rocker66

If you take your bike back to the dealer from whom you bought it if they are a decent dealer they will help fix it for nothing. However I don't think that they are obliged to. I hope that it all works out well for you

I very much doubt it will be a warranty job. The warranty covers defects in manufacture, so if you've been tinkering yourself I can't see them entertaining any claim.

However, as Rocker says, take the bike into your dealer for advice. Any dealer worth his salt will help you out.

Guest billc700s

The bolts go into collars which may have moved or dropped out, they have to be held when undoing or tightening the bolts. I think you may have been lucky on one side but the other side needs to be held and check for the collars being in place.

from the manual:

Remove the mounting socket bolts, washers [7] and grab rails [8] while holding the collars [9].

re-fitting is the reverse of this.

Guest PCBlock

As billc700s says check the collars are in place. I had a similar prob the other day with the rails after removing them -the bolt fitting for the grab rails is or can be 'fussy', so take your time, don't use force as you will cross thread them. I would start by taking the rail off and checking that the threads on the bolts are even and clean, then offer them up to the threaded inserts in the frame without the rail to check they go in easily, (you should be able to start them by hand), if not run a tap through the the insert. With some bolts even the slightest damage to threads can make them 'impossible' to re-fit and with these the line up has to be exact to get them started. Good luck.

Guest theweirdfoton

My very amateur opinion is they have cross threaded...which I find bizarre after being carefully removed. Even when I tried to start them off by hand they wouldn't go in. Think I got no choice but to smile sweetly at my dealer and pray they are in a good mood...but as I bought the bike up country and not from them im sensing a bill heading my way. Still love my nc but very gutted right now.

Guest theweirdfoton

Both bolts threaded and they are indeed charging me for the privilege of fixing it. Could go down the route of trying to do it myself but chances are ill make it a damn sight worse. These things happen I guess.

Rocker66

My very amateur opinion is they have cross threaded...which I find bizarre after being carefully removed. Even when I tried to start them off by hand they wouldn't go in. Think I got no choice but to smile sweetly at my dealer and pray they are in a good mood...but as I bought the bike up country and not from them im sensing a bill heading my way. Still love my nc but very gutted right now.

A good reason to support your local dealer. Glad that you are all sorted though

Edited by Rocker66