DIY service and warranty?

Guest PanPilot

Guest PanPilot

Hello all... I am considering an NC700X, as I'm starting to find my Pan a bit heavy nowadays; an NC would be my first new bike ever! As my bikes have always been second hand, doing my own servicing and repairs never raised warranty issues, because there wasn't one!  I would like to continue doing my own thing, but does anyone know if the Honda new bike warranty rules this out?

Happy biking!

Guest billc700s

There are NC700 bikes coming onto the market second hand, some will be upto 18 months old so you would not need to worry about Honda warranty if they are serviced before you buy. You would also save at least £1000 ( vat ) on new, the only recall has been the chain issue and most if not all bikes have been checked by now.

Hi, and welcome.

Under European law the manufacturer has the right to check that the work was done by a technician according to the service schedule. He can't insist you use genuine parts (although if he can prove the parts you used were of inferior quality he can invalidate the warranty on damage associated to those parts - hard for him to prove though in most cases).

In Europe the rule applied for deciding if the work was done by a technician, following the service schedule is that it be done in a workshop - independent or authorized.

That's a long winded way of saying if you do the job yourself you won't have a workshop's invoice to prove the work was actually done and the manufacturer could void the warranty.

Given the service schedule on the NC, unless you do very high mileage then you'd probably only be talking about the first, 600 mile service and the first annual service needing to be done in the first 2 years anyway.

I know Honda themselves have agreed to this, but in an article in RIDE magazine earlier this year they stated that under the European legislation which introduced this, bikes weren't actually written into the legislation. So if a motorcycle company wanted to refuse a claim they could if a bike wasn't serviced by an authorised dealer.

Edited by wozza

I know Honda themselves have agreed to this, but in an article in RIDE magazine earlier this year they stated that under the European legislation which introduced this, bikes weren't actually written into the legislation. So if a motorcycle company wanted to refuse a claim they could if a bike wasn't serviced by an authorised dealer.

True enough, I just looked up the Block Exemption Reg and it defines motor vehicles as those having three or more wheels.