Chain recall notice today!

Steve Blackdog

Steve Blackdog

How odd, I've just received a recall notice for the drive chain.  I'm assuming this is a repeat notice and the dealer I bought it from hadn't done it while they had it on demo.

Anyone else had a notice today?

Steve

Guest Northern Rock

Hi Steve,

I got a phone call today from the dealer who supplied my NC700X,they wanted to know if the chain on the bike was a DID or RK,apparently there are issues with the RK chain snapping and the solution is to replace RK with DID.Fortunately I have a DID chain.

Guest Steve700x

Hi, different Steve here. My 700x is three months old and I was wondering whether it's easy to see/tell which chain I have... Where is it marked? Your advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Steve

Guest Steve700x

Thanks. I guess I'll have to check with the dealer because my VIN is within the affected range but as far as I can make out my chain has 520 MKO on the odd link and Japan on others, so none the wiser if it's a good or bad one, unless anyone knows!

Steve

Rocker66

Best to speak with your dealer

Guest Steve700x

So, having checked the manual I see that MKO 520 is the RK type, so I guess I can look forward to a call or letter from the dealer shortly! Given that the initial recall notice was issued in October 2012 and I bought it 'new' in June 2013, I'm a little surprised they didn't do it before I got the bike.

Steve Blackdog

Mine has the DID chain, so I guess the dealer forgot to notify Honda when they did the work - seems odd to me though.

I'll call the garage anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Steve700x

Hi, In case anyone reads this who has similar questions around the chain recall, I have discovered the following from my dealer.

It was a faulty batch of RK chains that caused the problem originally.

Mine apparently is in the VIN list of originally affected bikes and my chain was changed whilst still in production to a different batch of RK chains and so is okay. So, having an RK chain is not a problem in itself and the sound advice of Rocker66, as I recall, of just phone the dealer and ask, continues to be the best way to find out unless they have already made contact. They will be able to advise.

Steve