Bar end weight

Guest Patrick

Hi all,

My near side bar end weight needs tightening up but I can't do it !

I can undo the philips screw completely and remove the weight, but when i refit it gets so tight then the whole lot turns instead of gripping in the handle bar.

There is a 6 to 8 mm gap between the rubber grip and the weight, is this normal? perhaps due to there not been a twist grip on this side?

There is like a mortice and tennon 180' joint for the weight to grip in inner fixing which when tight the whole lot goes round, it's not going to fall out at all, just don't like been able to turn it by hand.

The internal fixing looks like it's held on with a circular clip? any help please? thank you :flowers:

steelhorseuk

Hi Patrick,

Mine is exactly the same. I just live with it really mate.

Mark

Guest billc700s

Designed like this for cheepness,the locking ring has two fragile tabs which can snap off if the bar is forced out without depressing them first. You can only tighten the bar end to the weighted rod inside which has two rubber bush's to absorbe wibration. The bar end needs to be held ( rubber strap wrench )while the screw is tightened , if you can pull the bar outwards and the clip moves out too the clip is broken and you need a new clip. WWW.wemoto.com search for Honda CBR 600 RR9 (09) Handlebar End Weight - Internal Fitting Weight Clip generic part plus postage so check if you want anything else.

• Like 1

Aw thanks guys, you wouldn't believe the force I have had on it to try and prize it out, it's a wonder the two tabs didn't break off! I can fully tighten the screw alright without having a rubber strap wrench on it, I just thought it isn't really secure enough but guess I will have to live with it.

There's me telling my neighbour fellow biker that with it being a Honda it's not going to be a cheap mickey mouse fastening :-/

he said it will be like a bicycle handle bar raiser, two bits that slide up each other and grip.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help :-)

Steve Blackdog

Patrick,

I think it is meant to be like that.  When I came off yesterday, the rotation of the bar weight prevented the bar from gripping on the road.  In effect the bar end sacrificed itself.  You could see from the scratch pattern that the end weight turned like a wheel on the tarmac, absorbing the force of the contact between handlebars and road.

Had it been flush and static, it would not have taken the knock so efficiently.  I may be wrong, but I wouldn't put it past the designers to have designed it with deliberate tolerance.