So when is next service due?

tc3

I have seen a similar post but am not really any the wiser.

Recently had my first annual service at just over 4k miles. I can not seem to get a definite answer as to when I need to get the next service done. Does it need to go in at 8k for the valve check or can I wait another 12 months. I expect to put a further 6k on in next 11 months hence my confusion.... I know I only have a 2 year warranty but sods law is I get the servicing wrong and then need to make a claim just before the 2 years are up.

Anyone help clear this up please?

Edited by tc3
Guest SlinkyBiker

Easiest thing to do is check with the Dealer. Because everyone is going have their own thoughts on it. Im my opinion i would say do it at 12000 miles or 12 months since the last one.

Rocker66

I would play safe and have the valve check done at 8K

8k or a year is what the book says and a valve check would be more biased toward milage than time sitting idle.

Since we only ride the bikes for pleasure now I suspect it will take us 4 years to reach 8K so the 3 years leading up to 8K service will be a lubrication service oil and filter but by then it will be out of warrenty anyway :D

Ok thanks guys I will stick to getting it done at 8k :)

• Like 1

Ok thanks guys I will stick to getting it done at 8k :)

Probably best in order to avoid any problems...:)

Guest theweirdfoton

It is every 8k or 12 month period, whichever comes first. Once a service is done the "clock" starts again and its either 8k or 12 months from that point. For peace of mind id get the valve done at 8k but lets be honest peace of mind dont pay the bills!

Edited by theweirdfoton

Recently had my first annual service at just over 4k miles.

Your first service should have been at 600 miles, then 8k by the book which is a little extreme for an oil change unless you're riding in perfect conditions. 4k is what's recommended by my dealer for an oil change interval, and if that's what you're following than bravo.

Recently had my first annual service at just over 4k miles.

Your first service should have been at 600 miles, then 8k by the book which is a little extreme for an oil change unless you're riding in perfect conditions. 4k is what's recommended by my dealer for an oil change interval, and if that's what you're following than bravo.

For years most of Europe has been moving to ever longer oil change intervals - my car is 30,000 km and no first change, which is not uncommon. In the USA in particular the dealers fought against this trend - it's not so long ago they were selling the need to change oil in cars every 3,000 miles. When Honda or any other OEM specifies an oil change they do so after lots of testing. Their service engineers usually fiercely resist anything that they think might be unfounded and not based on clear test evidence.

Cheers

Chris

I have a 10 day trip next June so will aim to get the valves checked and oil changed before I go 

I took mine in for it's 8K service and the dealer talked me out of having the valve clearances checked, they didn't believe that there was any chance that they would need adjusting before its 16k service.

Rocker66

I took mine in for it's 8K service and the dealer talked me out of having the valve clearances checked, they didn't believe that there was any chance that they would need adjusting before its 16k service.

That's fine until something should go wrong and Honda try to get out of doing warranty work because you haven't followed the service schedule.

That's fine until something should go wrong and Honda try to get out of doing warranty work because you haven't followed the service schedule.

The warranty expires in January so I don't think it'll make much difference, I retire on Tuesday so the bike won't be getting used anything like the past 12 months. 

The warranty expires in January so I don't think it'll make much difference, I retire on Tuesday so the bike won't be getting used anything like the past 12 months.

At the end of the day you put your bike in for a service at the correct time/mileage. If you've booked it in for an 8k service then the dealer should do an 8k service as recommended by Honda. If they don't do it that's down to the dealer as far as I'm concerned. As long as my book is stamped up I've meet my servicing requirements. Edited by wozza
Rocker66

It's of course up to you guys what you do but I wouldn't take the gamble. Oil and services are cheaper than engines. I have always had my DVs serviced at the correct mileage and never had a problem.

Guest NCXrookie

My bikes are serviced and checked annually by the dealer regardless  of mileage covered.   That way I have had a second pair of eyes give them a good look over in case I have missed something. 

I have a 10 day trip next June so will aim to get the valves checked and oil changed before I go

Good call. Mine is due in May so great timming. Will insist that the check the valves even if I haven't reached 8k.