puncture repair kit?

Guest odansky
Go to solution Solved by Guest PCBlock,

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get a puncture repair kit (maybe amazon maybe that auction site), and I was wondering if you have any recommendations for the kits out there.

also, do you think I should get 

[sTOP 'N GO POCKET TYRE PLUGGER KIT]

with

[sCREW-ON REGULATOR FOR MINI CO2 CANISTERS], 

and

[Genuine Innovations 16 Gram Threaded Cartridges]

any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Omer

Guest Murcuseo

Ironically, I'm thinking of exactly the same thing after yesterday.

Went out in the afternoon and came home with a slow puncture due to a screw in my back tyre.

Had exactly the same thing with my car last month but thankfully there's a chap down the street who works for the RAC who sorted it.

Bloody workies and their screws. xD

Guest esullivan

I use the stop'n go one, with a small foot pump/tyre gauge thingy from Halfords. I've used the foot pump many times, but I can't vouch for the repair kit. I've somehow managed to avoid riding over a nail during the past two years of London commuting. I must have a guardian angel...

• Solution

I've been using the Stop N Go kit for a few years along with a stripped down mini 12v pump from here http://motopumps.com/, Personally I would'nt rely on the cannisters, and having a 12v pump when touring is very handy anyway. I've used the cheaper repair kits as well and had no problems, just find the Stop N Go one easy to use and neater.

stephenmcg

The plug kits are easy to use.

You will read that the tyre should be swapped or repaired by taking tyre off.

I fixed a puncture and changed tyre a couple of weeks later but am sure I did not need to. The plug looked solid.

A word of warning, the tube of glue has a shelf life.

I got a puncture but nursed it home by filling up at frequent garages.

The glue was old (couple of years) but un-opened.

At home, the glue took a good couple of hours to turn tacky - I was going on holiday so I left it for a week.

The repair lasted a couple of months till I decided to change tyre, again I am sure it would have lasted a lot longer.

As a get you home, I would vouch for them

SMcG in Glasgow

glencoeman

If the tyre has come off the bead of the rim, then a foot pump would be useless as you need a quick burst of high pressure to seat the tyre bead on the rim. I have used gas canisters to good effect although it can be pricy to replace them.

Guest EasyTiger

Someone who is well-used to bike tyre repairs, and whom I have seen demonstrate the string method, wrote this on another forum -

"Now if you had repaired the puncture hole with sticky strings and rubber solution, I would have said it would be OK for the rest of the tyre life. 028.gif

However all that is holding this type of repair  in place, using a mushroom plug, is air pressure.  151.gif
I have read that these type of plugs do not last well if left in (i.e. road bumps and stones can push the plug back inside the tyre as it flexes  33.gif )
So I'd advise to change it for a decent tyre, or redo the repair with a sticky string and rubber solution 028.gif"

It depends whether you regard the repair as a get-you-home option and you will buy a new tyre, or as a longer-term solution.

If you have any doubts, your confidence may be affected, particularly at higher speeds.

Edited by EasyTiger

what do you mean by "sticky strings and rubber solution" - can you point me to an amazon/that auction site solution?

Thanks, Omer

Someone who is well-used to bike tyre repairs, and whom I have seen demonstrate the string method, wrote this on another forum -

"Now if you had repaired the puncture hole with sticky strings and rubber solution, I would have said it would be OK for the rest of the tyre life. 028.gif

However all that is holding this type of repair  in place, using a mushroom plug, is air pressure.  151.gif
I have read that these type of plugs do not last well if left in (i.e. road bumps and stones can push the plug back inside the tyre as it flexes  33.gif )
So I'd advise to change it for a decent tyre, or redo the repair with a sticky string and rubber solution 028.gif"

It depends whether you regard the repair as a get-you-home option and you will buy a new tyre, or as a longer-term solution.

If you have any doubts, your confidence may be affected, particularly at higher speeds.

Guest EasyTiger

what do you mean by "sticky strings and rubber solution" - can you point me to an amazon/that auction site solution?

Thanks, Omer

Look at the second post in this thread. There are other kits, some with a little bag, with or without cylinders etc. on that site and others.

I spent a long time looking into this a couple of years back. The general concensus of those who were experienced in using such kits (typically USA based dirt road users etc) was that the sticky string (or "gorilla snot") types were by far the most reliable out in the field, especially when trying to fix a puncture in the middle of nowhere in the dark while it's raining. :frantics:

I bought a cheap 12V car type compressor and took the innards out, the pump/motor unit itself is quite small. Cut back the flexi hose as short as practical, something like 6-9", and fit a 10A fused accessory plug on a length of decent flex cable. Make sure your accessory socket is up to the current, the built-in Integra one definitely isn't, it's only rated at 1A. I do also have some gas canisters since they take up very little space and could help re-seat a bead if it came to it (unlikely).

I'm happy to ride on a repaired tyre for a while, that's the good thing about tubeless tyres, they very very rarely go down suddenly, and usually only if catastrophically damaged, in which case a repair plug won't help. Even if a repair plug leaks a bit, as long as you keep an eye on the pressures you're unlikely to get into serious trouble.

I too have pared my kit down to a small plastic box that fits in the recess in the bottom of the frunk. Aerostich sells a small pump that fits in the palm of your hand (having lost my hardware store 12V pump that i merely fractured all the plastic off of).

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-repair/pumps-air-compressors/aerostich-mini-compressor.html

I'm from the "gorilla snot," school, having tried plugs earlier. A plug works on a nice round or oval hole, but doesn't work as well when there's an odd shaped tear. Doesn't happen often, it need only happen once to be standing on the side of the road with a mushroom plug in one hand and staring at a slash in the the tire.  Gummy worms, as they're often called, can be stuffed in there to fill almost any shaped hole so as to get you home.

The glue is replaced each year, available at any auto parts store in a small tube.

Guest EasyTiger

+1, Michael.

An additional reason I favour the strings is that the repair is done without removing the tyre.

The best mushroom repairs are made with glue added and from the inside out...

No worries about reseating the bead etc. with strings, and keeping the tyre on is a bonus on bikes with a sidestand.

I have the Stop and Go kit and electric pump - not used yet.

same here, my pumps of the AirMan compact variety.

Only used as a test on old tyre :D