BAD BRAKES

Guest Monkeyuk

Guest Monkeyuk

ok so i'm on the way home and i see a guy pushing a Triumph, it was yellow other than that i'm not sure he had a run out of petrol or his battery had died so i help him push it uphill to the nearest garage he had already done this for 1/4 mile it was a heavy bike, i think karma was looking after me as my back brake did not go wrong until i got to my garage. http://youtu.be/InAhPqTzGy4

Derek_Mac

Is that the rear master cylinder that's come loose?

(Page 19-24 in the service manual for the torque settings of the bolts, Loctite might be a good idea as well.)

ScaredyCat

Did you do the 8k service or was it a dealer?

If it was a dealer then I'd probably avoid them in the future.

Guest esullivan

This video reminded me that it's time to go carefully around the bike, looking for loose bits. Looked OK this morning. I agree with ScaredyCat, it sounds like whoever last worked on the bike forgot a bolt. It happens. 

• Like 1
Guest Monkeyuk

UPDATE so had a call from the dealer they say that when the brake pedal was replaced that the master cylinder was not taken of in this process???? However on contacting Honda they have been told that the two bolts were not talked up properly from the factory and the damaged swing arm will be replaced by honda under warranty, so get the two bolts checked guys.

Rev Ken

UPDATE so had a call from the dealer they say that when the brake pedal was replaced that the master cylinder was not taken of in this process???? However on contacting Honda they have been told that the two bolts were not talked up properly from the factory and the damaged swing arm will be replaced by honda under warranty, so get the two bolts checked guys.

Sounds as if it ought to be a VOSA Recall as it is potentially a very serious safety issue. I suggest you contact them!

Sounds even more like the dealer making a lame excuse.

The factory will use power tools calibrated to the right torque and checked frequently. If they find a tool setting is off they go back and check everything worked on since the last check - including checking stock in compounds and possibly even sending a bulletin to dealers. It's much more likely that a dealer mechanic forgot to tighten the bolts than the factory got it wrong (especially for a Japanese factory where they have the most experienced personnel).

Worth making a call just to get it flushed out though

sandalfarm

I tend to agree with Chris the bolts are in an awkward position and could be missed if rushing

Guest Monkeyuk

I did think that it could be the dealer just saying it to push the blame onto Honda thats why i put in a complaint today with Honda so if the dealer hasn't contacted then ill soon find out.

id still like to find out whether they would need to take the two bolts out when they replaced the brake pedal ?