Tyres -- right time?

Guest esullivan

Guest esullivan

I'm nearing the point where I'll need to get new tyres, but this is actually the first time I've gone through a set, so I'm not very confident about picking the right time. (My first bike was an old scooter with canvas showing, so I immediately replaced the tyres and exchanged it for a 125cc geared bike only a few months later. That bike had new tyres on and they still looked new 5,000 miles later, when I passed my test and got the NC700, also with new tyres.)

My current tyres are BT023. They've done 10,500-ish miles. The rear is squared off noticeably, with maybe a hands width of flat area down the middle (too much of my commute is along the A40, a dual carriageway). The tread is designed so that you have a continuous piece of rubber around the middle, with tread to the sides. The tread that is there is still quite deep, however.

On the back, the tyres are more slightly squared off, but the tread is much more shallow, probably 2mm at the middle and only a few mm out the side. However, the tread has never been deep and even the middle isn't to the wear indicators yet. 

Do those sound ready to change? Any recommendations on brands? I was thinking the Pilot Road 3s that everyone raves about. We're coming up to the wet and cold period and I commute every day. I do about 12,000 miles a year -- not silly miles, obviously, but durability is a bit of a concern. 

Guest Crusty

I always change my tyres when they are squared off as it noticeably changes the handling characteristics of any bike. I'm similar to you in that most of my miles are duel carriageway and motorway. You will really notice the difference when you treat your bike to some new rubber.

Yep, PR3's are great. I'm currently running Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart on my CB and I must say, I'm very impressed. Excellent handling in both the wet and dry, and they handle the massive weight of my CB with ease in the twisties.

I got a similar mileage out of my BT-023's and change them for a new set of BT-023's, I am happy with the handling and wear from them.

I was also concerned that changing to a different brand may have caused interference problems with my Rossocromo rear hugger.

Guest esullivan

Thanks all. My inclination was to get them changed now, anyway. Winter is coming. I've booked them in for the tyre swap on Saturday morning. I'm going to try the PR3s this time.

Always the right time for new tires!

Rev Ken

Thanks all. My inclination was to get them changed now, anyway. Winter is coming. I've booked them in for the tyre swap on Saturday morning. I'm going to try the PR3s this time.

I've just the same thing - my third set of PR3s. Good choice.

Rocker66

PR3s are certainly the best tyres I have ever used