Clicking noise from front sprocket

Guest ColinB

Guest ColinB

When I roll my back back or forward in neutral I'm getting a loud clicking noise (like someone tapping the casing with a spanner) from the front sprocket. Difficult to tell if its the same hen the bike is in motion on the road but I think there is a noise from that area when I close the throttle and the bikes just rolling.

Chain recently adjusted with about 30m vertical movement

Any ideas?  

Guest mikmcd

Hard to tell without hearing it, but could be damaged tooth on the sprocket. Do you have a centre stand, and if so does it still do it when you spin the wheel?

Personally I get paranoid about unexplained noises - bike, car, central heating! In your situation I'd probably get a mechanic to check it over.

Best of luck.

Number of miles/kilometres?

I've only had 2 chain driven motorcycles (well, since 1974) and they've both exhibited odd noises when rolling backward, such as in the garage when I don't have a helmet on.

I've tilted 'em both on the center stand and found odd clicking when rotating the wheel backwards. I don't think there' s any harm going on if the chain and sprockets are in good shape and properly adjusted. 

"Ride it!"

:D

Guest ColinB

OK, gets more interesting. Just gone out and put the back wheel up on a paddock stand and when it spin it the noise has gone. Put it off the stand and when  roll it back and fourth, the noise has gone!  When I had the noise I had just got back from a short ride, about 6 miles. I also noticed the chain has a def tight spot. I marked a link on the chain, and on the stand the chain is always tighter at this spot. So I am assuming the chain is buggered? At 9000 miles a bit disappointing.

Torquepen

Maybe you have one of the duff chains? Wasn't there a recall on a batch early on? Check with the dealer to see if there's anything outstanding on your bike?

Me thinks you answered your own question.

Chain recently adjusted with about 30m vertical movement.

Chain is too tight..  needs more slack.  Say 1.5inch or so.

They do click if too tight,.

sandalfarm

And when you sit on the bike it tightens a little bit more hence when its on the paddock stand with no tension the clicking goes,I vaguely remember a bike I had said the chain had to be adjusted off the stand with someone sat on the bike for this reason

Guest Crusty

I think it's becoming widely accepted that the NC's chain is absolute crap (even the replacement DID one.) Mine was shot to bits at only 8000 miles despite meticulous maintenance by me.

• Like 1
Torquepen

I think they chose a small chain to make the MPG figures even better. Less weight, friction etc.

Would interesting to see if a heavier chain was noticeably detrimental to figures.

Maybe when you weigh it all up, the money gained with mileage ridden against buying a cheaper, lighter chain more often is better? Especially if you fit it yourself? I've no idea what they're asking for sprocket set btw.

Everything else seems to have been very well thought out on the bike. Maybe that's just another part of it?

T

Edited by Torquepen
Guest motorboy

The small chain was put on for only one reason COST,  small&cheap keeps the cost of the bike low   and I guess Honda thought it was OK wrong!  lets see what size chain comes on the new 750   and as far as your problem I also go with seized links

glencoeman

Then clicking may be coming from worn sprockets even though, at a glance, they look OK. To check them, put your thumb and forefinger around one of the sprocket teeth and if you can feel any ridges on the teeth, the sprocket is worn. The clicking comes from the sprocket not releasing the chain as it goes round the sprocket. I had similar problems on a BMW 650 and after changing sprockets, it was OK.

Guest ColinB

Chain is shot. Really bad tight spot so new chain and sprockets on Monday. Chain life of 9000 miles on low power commuter bike is totally unacceptable, and when you look at the range Honda are getting from the NC motor and chassis it's not a cheap bike! It ain't dear, but it ain't cheap. Shame about the chain saga's, cause its a great bike.

I will be complaining to Honda, to get 9K with lots of chain maintenance is crap.

Just to clarify, the 30mm of movement on the chain was on the tight spot, nearer 45mm at slackest point.

Edited by ColinB
Guest Crusty

Chain is shot. Really bad tight spot so new chain and sprockets on Monday. Chain life of 9000 miles on low power commuter bike is totally unacceptable, and when you look at the range Honda are getting from the NC motor and chassis it's not a cheap bike! It ain't dear, but it ain't cheap. Shame about the chain saga's, cause its a great bike.

I will be complaining to Honda, to get 9K with lots of chain maintenance is crap.

Just to clarify, the 30mm of movement on the chain was on the tight spot, nearer 45mm at slackest point.

Same problem I had - tight spots and frozen links at 8k. Honda were not in the slightest bit interested, which was the final nail in the coffin for the bike. It went the same day.

Guest chickenflaps

I think it's becoming widely accepted that the NC's chain is absolute crap (even the replacement DID one.) Mine was shot to bits at only 8000 miles despite meticulous maintenance by me.

Ah, but was that BEFORE you got the tutoro?!

Guest Crusty

Ah, but was that BEFORE you got the tutoro?!

Indeed it was. I never had a Tutoro on my NC.