ABS indicator is flashing - can I still ride?

Guest expalt

Hello friends,

I started my bike this morning in cold London and the ABS indicator didn't turn off after the usual 6 mph - it stayed solid until about 20 and then started flashing above that speed. 

I've done about 13 miles today to commute and it still is flashing. 

I've looked at the manual and it says I need to slow down and get it checked out asap. It also says that the ABS is now disconnected and my brakes are acting as if without ABS at all. I've confirmed that the ABS is off by skidding the back wheel a bit on the wet road.

My question is - is it still safe to ride until I get it checked out, maybe in a week or so? I may have a hard time finding a dealer who will take a look at it before then. Obviously many people ride without ABS so if the ABS is just disconnected, shouldn't it be fine?

Has anyone else experienced this with their NC?

Thanks!
Steven

It might sound daft but (to quote The IT Crowd), have you tried turning it on and off again?

I had my only accident last winter; stopped at lights, put my foot down and whatever I stood on gave way and I ended up on my side (with a scratch on the front guard) but no real damage.

When I restarted the ABS indicator was flashing.  I stopped (to tighten the now-loose wing mirror) and it sorted itself out.

Incidentally, I would think this should be covered by the warranty (assuming you are still in warranty period) - have you tried calling the dealer?

Gareth - I did try several times turning the ignition on and off - including a period of 8 hours while I was at work. 

Same thing happened to me when I had my accident in June - the ABS went off when I had to e-brake, it stayed on for a few seconds longer than normal after I got back on but turned off quickly - not at all like this.

My dealer's in central London so they said they couldn't take a look at it before end of October....might have to trek out to another dealer further south if they can see it sooner!

Guest Old Man

Take a look at the wheel there will be a sensor that points through the grid attached to the wheel near the centre.

Check that it has not come loose and still points through the grid.

It could also have dirt or debris over it. Try washing that area and retest.

I'm no expert but they are pretty basic sensors that detect movement of the wheel using the grid attached to the wheel centre.

Edited by Old Man

Thanks for your advice.

I found the issue this morning. Somebody put a dent in the rotor with the grid on the front wheel - don't know how, maybe with my U-lock.

Why are people so careless?? Oh well. Guess it's just another thing to replace...

If it was mine (but each must decide for themselves) I would happily straighten an ABS rotor providing it wasn't mangled. As said above, it is simply a magnetic pick-up which sees the bars and spaces going past which makes the speed signal, providing the rotor is close enough to the sensor it will be happy. The rotor has no load bearing function and won't be prone to fatigue etc. The rotor is stamped from sheet, so in manufacture it gets bent into shape. Providing it is essentially flat and the airgap is within limits it'll work. As you've found, if it is outside tolerances the system will tell you.

Of course if you are not happy doing this type of job then replacement is the option. I suspect any dealer would not straighten one (liability), they would replace. A friendly smaller mechanic might be prepared to straighten if it is only mildly bent.

Please note this is only my opinion, it's your call. If in doubt be safe.

I've thought about straightening it out myself, I just wasn't sure if the ABS would need recalibration or adjustment after, but I guess it's worth a try! 

If it's still flashing after that maybe it need to be reset with a diagnostics box. At that point I'll consider replacement.

Thanks!