Chain adjustment, once in 6k miles...

Guest chickenflaps

Guest chickenflaps

It could be good luck, my super smooth riding style (combined with my modesty), or the Tutoro oiler damp enough to leave spots on the garage floor, but I've only had to do one adjustment so far with over 6k on the clock now since new.

Is that a record?

That is good going!

I'm still convinced that the NC chain is chocolate, and way underspecced. However, I certainly think the addition of the chain oiler has helped you. I've gone from being a big oiler sceptic to being it's biggest advocate.

• Like 1
Guest chickenflaps

That is good going!

I'm still convinced that the NC chain is chocolate, and way underspecced. However, I certainly think the addition of the chain oiler has helped you. I've gone from being a big oiler sceptic to being it's biggest advocate.

I reckon the Tutoro is good enough to fit to a Deauville!!

How "adjusted" is your tutoro?  mine is adjusted to the point that I do leave oil drips where I park, but the chain looks about right so I'm tempted to leave it as it is.

Rocker66

That is good going!

How "adjusted" is your tutoro?  mine is adjusted to the point that I do leave oil drips where I park, but the chain looks about right so I'm tempted to leave it as it is.

I'm sure that it would be good enough to fit a deauville and just think how long the oil would last. May think about one for the CBF next summer if I still have it.

Edited by Rocker66

That is good going!

Have to agree, looks far too narrow for the low revving, impulse nature of the bike. Having said that mine's on nearly 8k and I've only adjusted once in my 4k+ ownership although it did have the chain replaced on a recall with the previous owner so not sure what miles that was at. 

I also run a Tutoro, 2 turns out, full top up of oil lasts about 1000 miles

7845 miles and just one adjustment. Tuturo auto fitted.

7500+ miles with no chain adjustments. Well, the dealer may have adjusted it during it's service, but I haven't had to grunge up my  hands yet. Tutoro is out 1/2 turn, with an occasional drip on the floor. I think 1000 +/- miles is about right for an oil fill up.

I owe it all to my smoooooth throttle hand! :D

Edited by michael
Rev Ken

That is good going!

Isn't it strange - I've never seem one fitted to a Deauville...... think what they are missing.....

Rocker66

I have thought about it Ken and have decided what the DV is missing is chain oil on the rear wheel and swinging arm, the need to check the oil level in the oiler and the need to grovel on the floor to adjust the chain. Having said that I'm prepared to suffer the absence of these delights :)

You're absolutely right Rocker, there's nothing quite like a good shaft when you're touring. The Integra with shaft drive........bliss.

Edited by embee
Guest chickenflaps

You're absolutely right Rocker, there's nothing quite like a good shaft when you're touring. The Integra with shaft drive........bliss.

I'd have bought one instead of my X...

Rocker66

Or even when commuting especialy when doing shifts

• 2 weeks later...
Guest granite

Just got back from a 3200 mile, 12 day trip. Thought sure I'd have to adjust the chain. I have 7,500 on the chain and it has never been adjusted. I do not have an oiler.

• 8 months later...
Guest chickenflaps

It could be good luck, my super smooth riding style (combined with my modesty), or the Tutoro oiler damp enough to leave spots on the garage floor, but I've only had to do one adjustment so far with over 6k on the clock now since new.

Is that a record?

No chickenflaps, it's not a record, as you've now done 15,300 miles and it's still adjusted ok!

That's seriously good going. I may have to investigate one of those oilers. I put a Scottoiler on a Triumph once and was a little, er, underwhelmed by it's performance and decided to stick to grovelling around with a chain spray in future..

Guest chickenflaps

That's seriously good going. I may have to investigate one of those oilers. I put a Scottoiler on a Triumph once and was a little, er, underwhelmed by it's performance and decided to stick to grovelling around with a chain spray in future..

I've been very pleased indeed with it.  I do keep it on the "damp side", which means I'll get a spot or two of oil on the garage floor, but I reckon that's a small price to pay.

I have just spent 100 on a chain, so hopefully it will need less adjustment and last longer.

What are peoples views on cleaning the chain.  Does this add any value?

Cleaning the chain periodically is - in my view - essential. The lubricant used picks up little particles of dirt over time and the two combine to make a great grinding paste, increasing wear on both the rollers and sprockets. A chain oiler reduces (but not eliminates) the need for cleaning, as the constant drip of fresh oil tends to 'wash' the chain clean.

Chains are horrible things, but capable of giving good service with a bit of owner involvement.