Burning rubber smell

Torquepen

I'd just done about 15 miles on my NCS & was waiting in traffic when I noticed this burning rubber smell. I didn't immediately associate it with the bike but looked down, all the same. Nothing untoward that I could see. A mile on & I'm in more traffic & I smell it again. I thought the engine might be overheating as the rad fan wasn't on. I'm wondering is the fan has blown a fuse?

Anyone got any ideas? I got home ok with no noticeable affect on engine. Coolant level ok.

ScaredyCat

Have you recently fitted a radiator guard? 

I get that smell from the little sticky pads that go on the radiator. Also smokes a little if it has been raining. Dead bugs cooking on the radiator.. 

My bike smells when it's been raining ... though, it could be me ;)

Edited by ScaredyCat
  • Like 1

Was it raining/wet? I've noticed my nc emits an occasional odd wiff in traffic in the wet. Ive put this down to contaminates from the road being cooked by hot engine/exhaust parts.

Guest Steve700x

I'd agree with Gareth. I've certainly had that smell coming up from the bike in traffic in the wet, but I don't believe it's anything to worry about.... My Deauville did the same actually. Steve

Yes I have noticed the same thing on my new S. It was a bad day (rain) but I put it down to new paint (possibly the rad?) and materials being hot for the first time. A bit like a new electrical heater used for the first time. I have still only done 350 miles so I will keep a careful note of any future similar occurrences. BTW I did not have a rad guard installed at the time, although I have now !

Thanks for replies chaps. Yes, it was chucking it down! I've fitted the radiator guard with the little rubber patches but did that about 1000 miles back so discounted them burning up. But who knows? The bike has covered around 4000 including some much longer trips.

I'd like to have seen the fan going though, if only to satisfy myself it's working :)

• 2 weeks later...