525 conversion kit for the NC?

Guest esullivan

Guest esullivan

I've asked this on another thread, but I think it's hidden there. I need to change my chain and sprockets. It's only been 11,500 miles, and I care for my chain religiously, but I've run out of adjustment and even after a thorough cleaning, some sections are tighter than others. I've heard mention of people installing a beefier drive chain, going from 520 to 525. How is this done? What parts fit? Is the NC compatible with the sprockets from another model, because I don't see any 525 conversion kits available on the usual online marketplaces.

Has anyone actually done this, or is this just based on rumours about a friend-of-a-friend? If you have done this, how? My dealer is embarrassed at the gouging price for the OEM drive kit (at least £160, not including labour) and is willing to install a better one if I supply the parts, but I can't find the parts.

Guest esullivan

The new 500 series use a 525 chain, would your dealer be willing to check compatibility of sprockets for you?

Thanks. I didn't realise that. I'll ask.

steelhorseuk

My plan is to see what or if the new NC has had its drive chain and sprockets upgraded! (NEC in November!)

Will the OEM parts answer be there maybe. 

Honda must surely after all the hassle with this bike be uprating them on the new bike.

The current 520 drive chain is totally unfit for purposes on a bike that pulls more torque than a CBR600F!

Eamonn, you did extremely well to get over 11k out of yours. I am on my third chain/sprocket set in under 5K!

All the best,

Mark

Guest esullivan

My plan is to see what or if the new NC has had its drive chain and sprockets upgraded! (NEC in November!)

Will the OEM parts answer be there maybe. 

Honda must surely after all the hassle with this bike be uprating them on the new bike.

The current 520 drive chain is totally unfit for purposes on a bike that pulls more torque than a CBR600F!

Eamonn, you did extremely well to get over 11k out of yours. I am on my third chain/sprocket set in under 5K!

All the best,

Mark

I was hoping to wait until NEC as well, but the chain is really knackered, easily lifted off the back of the rear sprocket and I've had to adjust it each of the last few weeks. It's not going to make it to next week, let alone the end of November. 

Edited by esullivan
Guest Todd L.

There are stories of people getting extraordinary life out of their chain and sprockets, and then people who get only a few thousand miles. I was worried about the chain because of the early recall on them, but my dealer said not one DID Japan chain has needed replacement. I didn't need any adjustment until several thousand miles, and I'm not the only one in my area getting great life out of the chain. Too many variables to say the system is bad from the get-go, and Honda developed it with a 520 for a reason. I couldn't be happier with my setup and will replace it with the same when the time comes. Your environment and maintenance regimen will dictate what life you get out of this setup. The DID Japan chain and sprockets are quite capable of tremendous wear and tear. Anyone replacing their chain and sprockets multiple times with low mileage is either getting a defective/bad part, has poor maintenance, and possibly adjusting it incorrectly. Make your dealer responsible for it if something's wrong.

Guest esullivan

There are stories of people getting extraordinary life out of their chain and sprockets, and then people who get only a few thousand miles. I was worried about the chain because of the early recall on them, but my dealer said not one DID Japan chain has needed replacement. I didn't need any adjustment until several thousand miles, and I'm not the only one in my area getting great life out of the chain. Too many variables to say the system is bad from the get-go, and Honda developed it with a 520 for a reason. I couldn't be happier with my setup and will replace it with the same when the time comes. Your environment and maintenance regimen will dictate what life you get out of this setup. The DID Japan chain and sprockets are quite capable of tremendous wear and tear. Anyone replacing their chain and sprockets multiple times with low mileage is either getting a defective/bad part, has poor maintenance, and possibly adjusting it incorrectly. Make your dealer responsible for it if something's wrong.

There are too many variables to draw easy conclusions. I commute 40-miles or so daily, year-round in London (read: rain, dirt, etc.). I clean the chain regularly and lube it every other day or after riding in the rain. There's nothing wrong with my maintenance routine.

My dealer says 11-12,000 miles is about average for all-weather use, in our area. In Canada, with probably much better roads, you could probably get more. You can also easily get much, much more in fair-weather-only use, obviously.

Different riding styles, different riders, different maintenance routines, etc. It's not possible to blame the rider, or whatever, on the varying experiences.

steelhorseuk

All the replacements on my NC were DID chains Todd. All extremely well maintained which left my dealer scratching his head as he concurred it was not the case of poor maintenance or extravagant riding. One set didnt even last 1000 miles! Face it Honda, you used the wrong drive sets!!!! cheapness costs money in the long run!

Edited by Smudger
Guest Todd L.

Wow, are you sure they are labeled DID Japan chains? Apparently there were regular DID chains not made in Japan that were part of the recall, only the Japan labeled chains were good. Sorry my friend, you definitely should not be having such a difficult time with your chain. For a chain to not last even 1k is absurd and I feel bad for you. Even if it wasn't adjusted correctly you should be getting much more than that. I really hope your dealer has taken care of you.

I'll give the 520 DID x-ring's ago first before trying 525. 11 to 12k for a chain is crap, I used to get 25k on my CBR600 and 50k from my ZX12.

Any decent motorcycle dealer should be able to sort out 525 size sprockets for you. If they can't they're a crap dealer.

Edited by wozza
steelhorseuk

Wow, are you sure they are labeled DID Japan chains? Apparently there were regular DID chains not made in Japan that were part of the recall, only the Japan labeled chains were good. Sorry my friend, you definitely should not be having such a difficult time with your chain. For a chain to not last even 1k is absurd and I feel bad for you. Even if it wasn't adjusted correctly you should be getting much more than that. I really hope your dealer has taken care of you.

Yes mate, they were all DID Japan chains and not subjected to any recall.

The last one fitted (#03) a few months back seems to be holding up better so far.

It has covered the last 500 miles with one adjustment.... and the dealer has been monitoring it and checking it every fortnight!.

The last chain which lasted just 1000 miles was sent to Honda for examination and testing.

All good fun.... not. Honda know my feelings too well! LOL 

Mark

Any decent motorcycle dealer should be able to sort out 525 size sprockets for you. If they can't they're a crap dealer.

That's assuming there are such things available with the correct bore and bolt spacing for the rear, and the correct splined hub and offset if any for the gearbox.

Someone (in UK) on that other forum has reported having fitted a 525 set and said it feels better/smoother, not exactly sure why but that's the report. This would suggest that the parts can be sourced, presumably from another Honda model if there are corporate standards for the technical details. You would need to find a dealer prepared to do the hunting for parts if you don't know exactly where it's used, and they may be reluctant to fit parts not specified for the machine, but you could do it yourself.

There are various online parts fiche sources so you could look see what type of sprockets various models use, like  http://www.ronayers.com/ (USA based) or http://www.hondapartshouse.com/ , or there's http://www.lingshondaparts.com/ (UK, just register to see fiches).

Rumors, rumors, rumors... So far I have no seen any proof of such a 525 conversion kit. Even it is difficult to locate a non-OEM 520 front sprocket. JT rear sprockets are widely available, but it is not the same for the front.

You can get any sprocket made to a pattern that will fit your bike. A decent bike shop with knowledge will know where to go. I personally do not know of a specific kit for the NC, but I bet it isn't difficult to source 525 sprockets that will fit the NC.

Any yes Jose, a chap (UK based, but on the US forum) did have a 525 size chain and sprockets fitted to his machine.

Who?

Any yes Jose, a chap (UK based, but on the US forum) did have a 525 size chain and sprockets fitted to his machine.

I'll have to try and find his user name now as it was a while ago

Who?

Found him! 'AdvSplash' is his user name. I've sent him a PM to find out more details, including where he sourced the kit?

Who?

Found him! 'AdvSplash' is his user name. I've sent him a PM to find out more details, including where he sourced the kit?

Great! Please let us know what you find

Guest motorboy

Not that it matters but both the CBR250R and the 3- 500's use a 520 chain  and as I said before it's not the size but the quality of the chain Honda uses on the NC use a high quality X ring 520 chain problem solved..

Guest PCBlock

The new 500 series use a 525 chain, would your dealer be willing to check compatibility of sprockets for you?

Apologies got that wrong, they take a 520 as well.

Ah, well the 500s are lighter and have less torque I suppose..

Edited by wozza
Guest esullivan

Update on this: My dealer was able to get aftermarket parts from JT (I think they used the front sprocket from some other model), but still only in the 520 size. The job was very expensive, costing just £200 including labour, I'm going to have to learn how to do this myself, at some point. 

I was planning on putting an oiler on the bike at the same time, to see if I can get better life out of the chain, but the budget can't take the hit. I'll wait until after Christmas.

Guest chickenflaps

Update on this: My dealer was able to get aftermarket parts from JT (I think they used the front sprocket from some other model), but still only in the 520 size. The job was very expensive, costing just £200 including labour, I'm going to have to learn how to do this myself, at some point. 

I was planning on putting an oiler on the bike at the same time, to see if I can get better life out of the chain, but the budget can't take the hit. I'll wait until after Christmas.

Now I really have little time for bike maintenance, even less for cleaning it (twice in 14 months), but the Tutoro oiler has kept my chain not only nicely lubed but it looks spotlessly clean (by comparison to the sand dune that is my swinging arm).  For the sake of £57 on the oiler, your £200 investment will last you very much longer than if you don't have one.  Crusty!! say something!!