flat battery

stephenmcg

stephenmcg

Expecting a heavy traffic day, I got geared up to take bike to work.

I usually take bike 1 or 2 days a week so it is just about 6 days since last use.

Battery was flat - did not even get a display light.

Used car instead and yes it was a particularly good day to have taken bike.

Tonight I put multimeter across battery - around 5V displayed.

Have put battery on charge and will try to start it in a couple of hours.

This is a brand new 700X with under 1000 miles on it.

This is not what I expected.

Previous bikes have stood for a couple of months over winter and started 1st time.

Bike kept in garage.

Has anyone else had a problem with this sort of thing.

I will be going in to dealer to express my concern and see what they say.

I have no electrical mods on bike.

My previous bike - Gladius 650 had a special key position that could leave on parking light.

The NC does not (I hope)

will update when anything new, but if there is a thread on this type of thing already, I would be pleased to be pointed in that direction.

Stephen McG in pouring Glasgow.

I had the same problem, about 2 weeks after I got the bike I went out one day to go for a ride and found the battery completely flat. Charged it for a couple of hours and it was able to start the bike OK. Went for my ride and not had another problem. Never did find out what was the cause. Of course every time I go out now I half expect to find the battery dead.

With under 1000 miles on a new bike after 6 standing days I also would have been surprised to find a flat battery! It looks to me as though there are 4 possibilities.

1. A faulty battery. 2. A faulty alternator 3. The battery not fully charged before the 6 day parked up. 4. Some 'leakage' (possibly a faulty diode in the alternator)

In the case of 4 I would suggest that after charging the battery with the ignition 'off' the negative lead is disconnected and an ammeter is connected between the battery terminal and the negative lead. I.e in series. Any current reading will indicate a current drain causing the battery to go flat. There may be a very slight meter reading from the HISS supervisory light.

Whilst I have offered some possible causes I think I would be straight back to the dealer ! Good luck.

Guest Steve700x

Probably stating the obvious, but something wrong I would say. I managed to dislocate my knee six weeks ago and have been off the bike until ligaments mend, so I left it untouched until last weekend when I tried to start it (fearing battery would need a charge). It started first time no problem and no sign of lack of charge. My bike is four months old, so suggests to me that your battery was a dud or one of the other suggestions made. Definitely talk to dealer, it shouldn't be dead. Steve

Often times merely a loose connection, not permitting a full charge or perhaps a corroded connection allowing a faulty ground and thus discharge. Then, and perhaps less likely is merely a faulty battery. Either way, I'm certain it's a warranty issue.

Still and all, disappointing isn't it?

Disappointing for sure, but sometimes batteries just die, I've had a faulty brand new Yuasa battery which wouldn't hold any charge worth mentioning. It was from a Honda dealer, price was very competritive at the time, and they just replaced it no issues.

There's obviously the other possible issues of a discharge somewhere, easily enough checked with a meter once it has a charged battery on it. Reg/rec is usually a suspect too, either discharging due to a fault or not charging the battery when it's running, but the NC at least has the much more reliable MOSFET type reg/rec (designated FH008, FH012 etc) so ought to be pretty reliable (I've retrofitted these types to my other bikes to improve reliability). A useful charging system check flow diagram here  http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

The other easy one to check is the (horrible IMO) multi earth point at the front left of the riders seat on the frame. There are a gazillion earth wires attached to a single bolt, which has caused various problems according to threads on here due to poor contacts apparently. It is good practice to have a common earth point for modern electronic systems to give the same reference voltage, but this just looks a bit mickey mouse. Cleaned and corrosion protected and proerly tightened and I'm sure it will be fine though.

Edited by embee
stephenmcg

Gave the battery a quick (and short) charge last night and it registered 11V

tonight when I got home, I checked battery and it was down at 6V

It was not on bike so battery lookes goosed.

I am giving it a decent charge tonight and will check again tomorrow.

I will visit dealer in next couple of days to discuss. I hope they just let me take in battery as otherwise I may require recovery if battery flat.

PS

the manual tells you to charge battery after removing from bike.

It also states that after you remove leads, take care not to drop nuts when removing battery.

An (obvious) tip for all.

after unbolting leads, put, screw bolt back in and then there is no danger of nut falling into guts of bike.

So obvious, I am sure you would all have thought of this.

I will update later when resolved.

SMcG in dry (for once) Glasgow

Guest motorboy

I wouldn't mess with it get a new one but if you ever need to charge a AGM battery which comes on all new bikes now make sure you use a charger made to charge AGM battery's the voltage is higher to pass more current.The last dealer I worked for and the last service school I went to was all about those new battery's very different battery..

Guest motorboy

Forgot to say a full charged AGM battery is 13 volts to 13.5 volts  and must be able to hold that voltage for over a month just sitting anything below 12 volts is dead after that time

Gave the battery a quick (and short) charge last night and it registered 11V

tonight when I got home, I checked battery and it was down at 6V

It was not on bike so battery lookes goosed.

...SMcG in dry (for once) Glasgow

That sounds just like the one I had. I'm sure the dealer will simply replace it wiith no issues. Stuff happens.

Stuff happens.

Too true. I was told the manufacturing tolerances are very fine and the motorcycle environment is a little more challenging for a battery than in an auto. It has to be robust and small and light too.

Scootabout

I had a flat battery on one occasion with the NC.  I didn't realise why at first, then discovered that after heavy rain the GPS lead that I'd wired to the battery terminals had what looked like tell-tale signs of having shorted out.  I've removed it, given it a chrge with the Optimate and it's fine now.  If you were down to 5v, though, my guess is the battery is toast.

stephenmcg

After the battery dropped to 6V (after short charge) I gave battery a good charge and it registered over 12V

I attached to bike and this morning it was still over 11V.

I took battery to dealer and left it there.

went back after lunchtime, was told battery was goosed and they gave me a new one under warranty, though they suggested that I

may wish to pay around £60 and get a gel battery. I declined and took replacement.

fitted and bike started 1st time.

I will monitor voltage for a few weeks.

Couple of points, I set clock to GMT, hope this is not bad luck as I will not be using bike tomorrow (Saturday)

Also, the HISS light did not flash after switching off.

This (in my opinion) acts as a sort of dummy alarm for 24Hrs.

When I had Deauville, I remember you could switch this 'option' off/on with a button sequence.

I could not see this in manual anywhere.

I would appreciate if anyone has idea.

I will go back to DV usergroup to try and get sequence as it is likely to be the same.

This was my 1st motorcycle battery replacement in 40 years and hopefully my last. 

SMcG in Glasgow

"To prevent or restore the HISS indicator flashing -

1 - With the ignition on, press and hold the A button (left hand button) for 2 sec or more when the display function mode is odometer

The HISS indicator flashes once.

2 - turn the ignition off."

Obvious really ......... :ermm: