Optimate type chargers

Guest Sid

Can Optimate type chargers be rigged up to a Non Sealed type battery without taking the battery out of the bike and removing the yellow plastic cell caps. I know that with conventional chargers the caps must be removed in case of over charging and to allow gasses to be released.

Thanks

Sid.

I've used Optimate and Oxford products on half a dozen of my bikes over the last 4 - 5 years without removing caps or removing battery from the bike in question, all 12v, varying ages of bike from 1977 through to 2012 (the NC) and both old and new batteries with no problems yet. I've only checked a few times when I first started to use them but electrolyte level wasn't going down and nothing coming out of overflow tube, don't bother to check now.

No batteries have failed, always ready to turn starter and the alarm on my GSXR750 is not activated by them.

I don't tend to leave them on for months on end, probably the maximum is 6 - 8 weeks as I rotate 2 chargers between  5 - 6 bikes but must have occasionally forgotten to rotate as don't keep a strict rota.

Not sure this is a definitive technical answer to your question but from practical experience I would answer 'Yes' to your question

I have used optimate chargers on bikes for many years and more recently on a classic car 6 volt battery (a different 6 volt specific version) with no problems at all. On all occasions the vehicles have started effectively from a fully charged battery. Leaving a battery to discharge for a long period does more harm. NB. The 6 volt battery is the non sealed type.

Edited by Puglim

As above. The old advice to disconnect/remove batteries for charging was mainly to do with the very basic chargers available years ago with no current sensing or regulation. Modern chargers of the Optimate type are "clever" enough to safely charge on the machine and leave for extended periods.

I have one branded as "Banner" (a European battery maker), same sort of thing as Optimate, and when I checked how it worked the voltage gradually ramped up over the first 30sec or so, no nasty spikes to damage electronics.

They should minimise the amount of gassing by not over-charging, sealed or vented batteries should be fine.

Guest EasyTiger

From recent experience I believe that these Oxford and Optimate products should really be described as "maintainers", not chargers.

They trickle at 0.8 amps, max recovery output 2 amps, don't they? Hence OK for sealed batteries etc.

They can identify dead or highly sulphated batteries, but mine were unable to revive or charge a newish battery with what proved to be a single dead cell.

They work best at preventing an already charged battery in good condition from discharging. Other opinions?

I've owned a Battery Tender brand for 20 years now, and have used it (in addition to my friends, neighbours, relatives and various other "hangers on.") on a variety of batteries. 

It will bring the dead to life, however takes a considerable amount of time to do as as its output is 1.25 amps.

One need not remove the caps from "old style," batteries as the built in venting is more than adequate.

(holy crap, 20 years? that well may be the best battery investment made....and it was gifted to me by a Harley riding friend who used up a battery every other year....I've experienced one battery failure in that time)

I use a C-TEK intelligent charger that is supplied with a cable, with waterproof socket, that is permanently attached to the battery, any time that I'm not going to be using the bike for a couple of weeks I put it on charge.

The added benefit is that the charging socket has green, amber and red LED's built in that flash indicating how much charge there is in the battery.

I think the LED lead may have been an optional extra, I'm sure that the standard supplied lead doesn't have them.

I use a C-TEK intelligent charger that is supplied with a cable, with waterproof socket, that is permanently attached to the battery, any time that I'm not going to be using the bike for a couple of weeks I put it on charge.

The added benefit is that the charging socket has green, amber and red LED's built in that flash indicating how much charge there is in the battery.

I think the LED lead may have been an optional extra, I'm sure that the standard supplied lead doesn't have them.

This the sort of thing Dave? Looks like a handy lead to have

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-56380.php

Guest jdearauj

Hello,

Going on holiday for a month in December, would I need to connect a charger to my battery if the bike is not in use for a month Or should I just disconnect the battery?

I have a fuzeblock which has various Optimate connections. If I was to use a Optimate charger, I assume this would need a separate connection as you can not charge the battery through the fuzeblock?

Thanks

I have one of these on all my bikes so I can put an Optimate on the bike in seconds

http://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/OPTIMATE-Accumate-12V-Waterproof-Charger-Connector-Lead-/400313801582#ht_862wt_1399

It has a rubber boot so when not in use this covers the terminals. I tend not to use the charger during the summer months since the bike gets used but during the winter each bike has the charger plugged in for just over a week once every 6-8 weeks. Using this system I have never lost a battery but if you are using an after market alarm you will need to leave it plugged in every other weeks since they draw a little current when the bike is sitting still. Personally I refuse to own a bike which requires extra alarms etc since it is such a hassle.

I have one of these on all my bikes so I can put an Optimate on the bike in seconds

http://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/OPTIMATE-Accumate-12V-Waterproof-Charger-Connector-Lead-/400313801582#ht_862wt_1399

Look around on the bay and you can find similar for 4 quid delivered :)

Edited by tc3