Front tyre valve seat losing pressure

Trev

Has anyone had problems with getting tyre valves to seal properly on the NC? I've had a new pair of tyres fitted and the front loses pressure in an hour or so. The tyre shops said the seal between the valve was 'corroded' and cut the valve out, however their standard tyre valve is too loose fit in the tyre.

They also put a new put on the rear wheel with no problems.

Is there a special fit valve for Hondas/the NC that I should be aware of?

Guest billc700s

It sounds like they have fitted car type long  stem valves for alloy wheels, you need the shorter valves for motorbike cast wheels which have a slightly different depth and larger diameter sealing area inside the cast alloy wheel. You also need to check the corrosion around the valve area which could be causing the bad fit and if your bike is still under warranty speak to a Honda dealer. Some valves I have do look different from each other and are different hardness of rubber ( I have valves from BMW and Piaggio ) and different depth of sealing possibly for cast alloy ( Piaggio deeper ) or spoked wheels ( BMW shallower ).

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics, the metal valves look great.

Problem solved, seems my local tyre shop were a bit over enthusiastic when pulling the valve through, tried another and all okay. Tyre been holding air for 3 days now with no loss of pressure so out for a decent ride tomorrow.

Does show the importance of a tyre fitter who knows bike tyres and wheels. Our local tyre shop is owned by two good mates of mine and they look after all  my tyre, battery, zort stuff (apart from my company car unfortunately). They don't do bike tyres but one of the guys has always had bikes, currently runs a 900 Ninja and always fits tyres to loose wheels for me, has done for years, no problems. Unfortunately he was off sick last week and my other mate did me a favour and fitted my pair of new PR3's and was a bit am fisted when fitting a new valve. He also didn't balance the wheels (Scott the biker keeps his own supply of bike weights locked away!) so I popped it back in this week and all sorted and balanced. Only charge me a fiver a wheel and absolutely won't take another penny, I make sure they each get a decent crate of beer at Christmas  :thumbsup: