Corrosion - lower suspension pivot?

Guest Leedsmet

Guest Leedsmet

Good morning

I've just taken the bike off the road for winter - it has not been ridden through a winter - just over 1 year old 2,000 miles.

I had cleaned the bike & its kept in a dry garage - sprayed with silicone spray - not ridden in the wet etc & I have rather disappointed that the round section of the suspension linkage - which is at the lowest level on the bike - the palting apperas to have failed & I've got rust beginning to appear.

The bike has had a front fender extender since new & has been well looked after.

I've got in touch with Honda UK & havr filed a warranty claim.

Has anyone else suffered similar problems?

Regards

Chris

Guest engasal

I got this on mine. Didn't amount to anything, just looked manky. The general finish on the first generation of NCs wasn't that good. Mine had a headlight surround replaced and swingarm replaced for paint falling off them. And as I say my linkage got all horrible too.

Bear in mind that silicone is oxygen permeable so any water that's already there will continue to absorb oxygen from the atmosphere and continue to rust, with common or garden hydrocarbon sprays, once the oxygen in the water is consumed, you won't get futher rusting unless the existing rust that's formed is enough to break the protective layer. Might I suggest ACF-50? The advantage of silicone is that it doesn't perish some rubbers and plastics and that it's more heat resistant and doesn't char.

Guest machinman

My suspension mount discolored heavily at about the same stage as yours, though it hasn't got any worse.

I use in all weather's and apply acf 50 regularly.

Corrosion seems to be a constant battle when owning a motorcycle.

Guest Leedsmet

Hi

Thanks for the info.

I'm a mature rider & the bike has been totally pampered.

I've ridden bikes through winters in all weathers in the past  & considering the pampering this bike has received with fender extender to reduce throw of road items on the suspension - together with care/cleaning/drying etc - the issue as I see it it poor plating on all associated components - I am a former metallurgist!.

Honda's are supposed to be 'good quality' - my bike from 30+ years ago survived better than this after a harder life & they were ridden through all conditions and winters.

Let's be realistic - just over a year old & 2k miles  - quality ?????????????????? I reserve comment until feedback from Honda.

Regards

C.

steelhorseuk

Hi Chris, I agree, the so called Honda quality just is not there at the budget end of the scale.

Like you I pamper the thing but never the less.....

it  had a new swing-arm, headlight shroud all due to pain peeling off.

It had the rear tyre removed and the corrosion brushed from the wheel which caused it to lose air pressure.

It had three new drive chains and sprocket sets.

All this in under 5K miles.  I did get compensation from Honda UK as I complained bitterly!

All the best

Mark