DCT clutch oil change?

Guest EasyTiger

Guest EasyTiger

I have been looking for a "How To" on this anywhere on the forum, or any tips from those who have done it themselves.

For a 2012 X DCT.....

The part no. for the clutch oil filter is    15412-MGS-D21, (£6.50), (Fowlers' prices 21/01/14).

and for the O-RING 39.8 X2.2 9AR 1302-PA9-003      (£2.80)

Regular engine oil filter             15410-MJC-505   (£9.58)

and washer drain plug              94109-12000        (£0.59)

if you want to go the whole way................

Plugs are 2 X                           IFR6G11K            (£19.13 each)

Air Filter                                  1721MGSD30       (£29.82)

VAT on top....

There is no clutch oil. Just two filters, one for the engine, and a smaller for the DCT.

Derek_Mac

As Stelios says, just change the engine oil and both filters.     :rtfm:    :D

Edited by Derek_Mac

I've got the oil change bits sitting here waiting for when I get round to putting it back on the road, March hopefully (weather permitting). DCT clutch filter is simple, just go easy with the fasteners on the cover, I've read a report somewhere of someone distorting or cracking the cover. Don't lose the spring, and make sure the filter goes in the right way round (seal one end). Good exploded diagrams and part numbers  at http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/#

The workshop manual indicates it's very simple, filter is marked "outside" opposite end to the seal, and to be sure it says "this side and spring towards filter cover", can't be much clearer! It just says take cover off, remove spring, remove/replace filter and cover O-ring smeared with oil, fit spring and refit cover. I find such O-rings are usually re-usable a couple of times, but they aren't expensive so ........

E_5_1.jpg

Plugs are iridium tipped, will last at least 30k miles and more likely 50k. They can be got from NGK suppliers elsewhere a bit cheaper, like £14 or so(caution, there are fake NGK plugs sold by unscrupulous sorts, use a known supplier like http://spark-plugs.co.uk/ or similar, they are a good supplier I've used, no connection)

There was an advert on that auction site from Pidcocks Honda for air filters at about £24 inc (free p&p) if I remember corectly.

Guest EasyTiger

Thanks for these replies and the tips. I had already downloaded the Workshop Manual, but couldn't unzip it in my all-Mac house...

I think I must naively have believed there was a separate reservoir for the clutch from the explanation a dealer gave me for the vastly increased price for a 16,000-mile service over the 8...

• 1 year later...
Mike5100

I take it that the dct filter is item 5 above and it's behind the plate marked 3.?

Don't suppose there's any chance of me replacing this without emptying all the engine oil first?

Mike

Edited by Mike5100

Yes Mike, no problem with taking the DCT filter out, only a small amount of oil comes out, a couple of spoonfuls. I didn't renew the O ring but that's your decision.

Mike5100

Thanks Embee.  I may just get the dealer to post me one and do it myself.

Mike

Guest Number14

Yes Mike, no problem with taking the DCT filter out, only a small amount of oil comes out, a couple of spoonfuls. I didn't renew the O ring but that's your decision.

Just make sure the bike is on the side stand, otherwise the couple of spoonfuls could be bloody big ladels.

Edited by Number14
  • 2 years later...

Blast from the past thread that answers my question!

I changed the clutch plates on my FJ1200 with it on the side stand and leaning over a touch more down the slope.  Just a dribble of oil and change plates over in the pissing rain storm that just decided to blow up from nowhere. Island weather sucks!

I'm about to change over my DCT oil filter this weekend.  The K&N will be done at a later stage.  I'll lean over over a touch more down the slope and change DCT filter then.  They are tiny!!!! £6 from M&P online via that website.

• Like 1

No worries with the DCT filter Gordon. The only oil which comes out is the small amount in the filter housing itself, plus a little from the oilways inside I suppose. It doesn't connect into the main chamber inside the engine/gearbox where the bulk oil sits. As you say, they are small, it's just a second line defence against any bits getting into the sensitive solenoid valves, it's supplied with filtered oil from the main engine supply anyway so any bits and pieces should have been dealt with already, belt and braces. I've changed mine 3 times and haven't replaced the O-ring yet, it seems fine (I have a back-up spare in case).

Edited by embee
  • Like 2
SteveThackery
On 21/01/2014 at 22:18, Guest EasyTiger said:

I think I must naively have believed there was a separate reservoir for the clutch from the explanation a dealer gave me for the vastly increased price for a 16,000-mile service over the 8...

I think it's because they check the valve clearances at 16,000 miles.

1 hour ago, embee said:

I've changed mine 3 times and haven't replaced the O-ring yet, it seems fine (I have a back-up spare in case).

I changed mine at the 600 mile service (which is fully documented/receipts etc) ... but I kept the old one for future use when out or warranty.

trisaki

Just change both filters at the same  saves the hassle of doing them separately 

• Like 1
TheEnglishman
On 23/01/2018 at 14:42, trisaki said:

Just change both filters at the same  saves the hassle of doing them separately 

This.